New Language

Started by Mohiraia, 01. September 2010, 16:21:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohiraia

Hi everybody,

I am doing a technology project about making something that influences language and thought about a dictionary for a mobile phone. The beauty of technology in these days is wonderful as I have found this site. Would someone be able to answer a few questions for me?

How hard is it to make up a dictionary for a person with limited knowledge of the software or programme? How long would did it take to make up the other dictionaries on this site?

I was thinking about having something like the applications I see on here, but in Māori to English (Māori being an official language of New Zealand).

What type of phones can utilise this application? Would it be possible to make up a sample dictionary?

Gert

Dear Mohiraia,

QuoteHow hard is it to make up a dictionary for a person with limited knowledge of the software or programme?
Jeff made a very nice preparation for setting up a dictionary including a description at http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/newdict.html
You should not be afraid of using a command line prompt (that is from where you can type commands such as "dir"). Then it should not be fairly easy to set up a dictionary. You need to read the documentation though ;)

QuoteHow long would did it take to make up the other dictionaries on this site?
Will be interesting to know from others how long it did take.
For those dictionaries that I myself did set up, the time it did take varies enormously. From maybe 2 hours for a simple dictionary to several days for dictionaries that required a lot of 'cleanup'; if the source dictionary is in good shape then setting up the dictionary is straightforward.

QuoteI was thinking about having something like the applications I see on here, but in Māori to English (Māori being an official language of New Zealand).
DfM will do perfectly.

QuoteWhat type of phones can utilise this application?
(a) Java ME capable devices [Nokias, most Samsungs, most Motorolas, most LGs, most ...]
(b) Android devices
(c) additional platforms that may be supported by DfM in the future (iPhone developers wanted  8) )

QuoteWould it be possible to make up a sample dictionary?
Sure.

Best regards,
Gert

Mohiraia