Having trouble with Pathway, Fieldworks & Special Character

Started by phildicts, 15. November 2013, 03:39:34

Previous topic - Next topic

phildicts

Nice program. Fieldworks and Pathway give me a good jar and also dictionary file for Android except for one thing, we have a special unicode character for glottal stops that is not in the standard characters packaged in mobile browsers. It shows up as a box in the programs. The character basically looks like an apostrophe. I've tried switching the character out in Fieldworks but when I export it, it always returns. I think the writing system setup for our language may be causing the problem. When I find/replace in the dictionary files for your program, the file sizes change and when displayed in android version everything gets garbled up. Is it specifically the apostrophe that is messing up the java programming? Anyone have any ideas for either getting the old character to appear on mobiles or for swapping in an apostrophe? Apostrophe is probably preferred so that dictionary can easily be searched.

Gert

A word at the beginning: DictionaryForMIDs runs on several platforms, including traditional phones, Android, PCs and modern web browsers.

For dictionaries with non-latin characters, typically an UTF encoding is used for the character set, with UTF-8 being the most frequentl (UTF-16 would be fine, too).

PCs, modern web browsers should be able to display all Unicode characters out of the box; I also would assume this applies to Android. Traditional phones (= Java ME technology) usually are not capable to display all Unicode characters; for this reason DictionaryForMIDs supports the bitmap fonts on Java ME. Bitmap fonts allow to display on traditional phones all characters of a dictionary even if this is not directly supported by the traditional phone.

The Java language supports the Unicode characters. I just looked up, the Unicode code for the glottal stop is U+0294, there seems to be an U+02C0 variant and some others.

After that long explanation: can you post your inputdictionaryfile, or an extract from it, plus the file DictionaryForMIDs.properties  and also the complete generated JAR file (or post a link to where I can donwload it) ? And please point to a section where that glottal stops occurs ?

Gert

phildicts

PCs and modern browsers have no problems with the character we use.  Iphones and Android phones are not full UTF-8 so our character U+A78C example: ꞌ does not display on these platforms and it doesn't look like Apple or Google will fix this anytime soon.  I think e-mailing you the file will work best.  The glottal stop is very common in our language so you can find it in almost every example sentence in a text.

I'm not certain by what you mean by the inputdictionaryfile.  I will send the jar file which has the dictionary folder in it that includes DictionaryForMIDs.properties.

Thanks for your willingness to take a look.

Gert

Uhm, what is U+A78C ? Wikipedia and others tell me that the glottal stop is U+0294.

Regards,
Gert

starssoft

I guess, phildict is actually meant for  http://www.charbase.com/a78c-unicode-latin-small-letter-saltillo.  It can be replaced by \' as temporary solution.