3.4.0_GerFra_FreeDict.zip contains wrong "DictionaryForMIDs.properties"

Started by axin, 21. August 2010, 12:40:36

Previous topic - Next topic

axin

Hi all,

I just received an extensive bug report by mail (thanks very much!), testing it on the emulator shows the problem too.
As I'm not very into dictionary generation, maybe one of you sees what got mixed up here?

Regards,
Achim

QuoteAt first kudos for this offline-dictionary - it is the only free Dictionarysoftware that fits my needs on my Android-phone.
Tomorrow I'll drive to France and thus wanted to use the German<->French Dictionary-file, however when searching words in the German->French dictionary I got some strange errors:

The first one was an error that told me that the resource "sdcard\DictionaryForMIDs\dict\DfM_3.4.0_GerFra_FreeDict\IndexGernull.csv" was not available.
I looked for the file and it didnt exist, so I just created it and this error was gone.

The second error was a message that said "Warning: buffer size too small for file searchlistGer.csv".
I am certainly not a PC-Pro but I have some brain so I started to look into the file-structure to find out if I could fix this myself.
I did: the wordcount didnt match anymore and some other properties of the "DictionaryForMIDs.properties" were messed aswell.
To me it looks like the Dictionary was updated in April 2010 but the "DictionaryForMIDs.properties" however was not (it still shows the date Nov 09).
After I sorted the "DictionaryForMIDs.properties" and found out what the most of the values are responsible for I corrected the file and now it works like a charm.
As the file copy and paste was messing the E-mail I submitted it to pastebin so you can take a look at it: http://pastebin.com/KHhQm8LU
If possible check if this is the only Dictionary that is concerned of this "bug" or if others suffer from this aswell or check if the Android-App needs to be fixed to ignore these properties.

Gert

I just made a quick test with 3.4.0_GerFra_Freedict with the Sun Java ME emulator: and I confirm that there is a "buffer size too small"-error.

QuoteThe first one was an error that told me that the resource "sdcard\DictionaryForMIDs\dict\DfM_3.4.0_GerFra_FreeDict\IndexGernull.csv" was not available.
I did not get that error.

I will look further to see what is wrong. Achim, seems your but reporter did a great job in trying to fix the problem !

Gert

Gert

Jeff,

let me try to remember: I provided for the FreeDict dictionaries the files from my 'old archive' including the DictionaryForMIDs.properties file. And you were re-releasing those dictionaries with 3.4.0. Correct until here ?

QuoteTo me it looks like the Dictionary was updated in April 2010 but the "DictionaryForMIDs.properties" however was not

I still did not yet make the effort to look at the details; I'd guess that the problem comes from bi-lingual dictionaries and the properties searchListFileMaxSize/indexFileMaxSize/dictionaryFileMaxSize. Admittedly there is a source of error, cause for the 'merged' bi-lingual dictionaries the biggest values of the xxxFileMaxSizes needs to be chosen. Or those values need to be manually set to a value that will be never exceeded by the files. I'd guess that for nowadays devices a xxxFileMaxSize of, say, 200000 should not be a problem.

Will try to check more later ...

With best greetings,
Gert

dreamingsky

Oops, maybe I made a mistake building that dictionary.  Currently to build a "merged dictionary" you have to manually change these settings in DictionaryForMIDs.properties:

language1IsSearchable
language2IsSearchable
language1IndexNumberOfSourceEntries
language2IndexNumberOfSourceEntries
indexFileMaxSize
dictionaryFileMaxSize
searchListFileMaxSize

Anytime you make a change to dictionary_input.csv, then you need to manually change DictionaryForMIDs.properties again.  I may have forgotten to manually update it the last time I built it.

I'll look into it this weekend.  Sorry.
Jeff

dreamingsky

I uploaded a fixed version of the dictionary.  Sorry about that.

Jeff

Gert