Request to iPhone users: run test script for "Web Storage" usage

Started by Gert, 31. October 2010, 18:16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

Background:

Concerning an HTML5 version of DictionaryForMIDs: DictionaryForMIDs will have to store the dictionay files locally on the device; HTML5 provides "Web Storage" for that purpose.

The problem there is: the browsers limit the space provided for Web Storage, typically the default limit is 5 MB. A browser should allow the user to increase that limit. However I have no clue (a) what the default limit in the iPhone is and (b) more important, how an iPhone user can increase that limit in the Safari browser.

The script:

I created a quick JavaScript html page that writes 1000000 characters in the Web Storage for the domain'dictionarmid.sourceforge.net'. Each time that html page is loaded another 1000000 characters will be added - see the attached screenshot; until the limit is reached, then an 'exception' is printed.

Request (a): run this script on an iPhone

[I think I read that only iOS version 3 or higher support Web Storage]

Here is the html page: http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/html5/webstorage.html
Please load this page a few times; each time 1000000 characters will be added; until there is an 'exception' message. And then report how many characters were added in total.

You can erase the created Web Storage with this html page: http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/html5/clearwebstorage.html

Request (b): how to increase space limit for Web Storage on iPhone

Please check how the space limit for Web Storage on iPhone can be increased, in order to allow storing of big dictionaries, e.g. 30 MB.

Maybe for the iPhone there will be a question to the user for increasing the space when more space is needed by the script ?

Or there will be a property that can be adjusted ? Just as an example: on Firefox you can easily set under about:config the property dom.storage.default_quota to 30000. How is this done for Safari under iPhone ?

Thanks for testing,
Gert

P.S.1: iPhone users will rarely read this forum; if you know an iPhone user, please just ask him to run that script.

P.S.2: also for other devices, Android, Nokia, Samsung, LG, etc. it will be interesting to know the result of the script; you will need to have an up-to-date web browser that supports Web Storage.