Coloured display: black background for translations texts ?

Started by Gert, 27. January 2008, 10:20:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

I just looked at DfM on the Nokia S40 with activated coloured display: there is an ugly black background colour for the translation texts ! Actually, the translations are unreadble because of this !

The code is from the latest 3.2 development baseline, I used a test dictionary which does not contain any colour specifications, also not for the background colour.

So the idea was, that the background from the device should be used, whatever theme/background the device user did set. But on the S40 devices, the black background is used instead.

On the WTK emulator the colours seem to be ok (at least the colour is not black).

Anyone knows about this ?

Gert

Gert

[posting updated]

Ok, I spent some more time to investigate:

In the paint-method of StringColourItem there is the following code sequence:

if(isUseBackgroundColour)       g.setColor(backgroundColour.red, backgroundColour.green, backgroundColour.blue);
        else g.setColor(systemBackgroundColour);
        g.fillRect(0, 0, width, height);

If this is replaced by

if(isUseBackgroundColour)      {
             g.setColor(backgroundColour.red, backgroundColour.green, backgroundColour.blue);
            g.fillRect(0, 0, width, height);
        }

then the output looks better, well at least in the following screenshots (from the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 emulator and the S40 emulator).

Hmmm, any opinions on this ?

Gert

Gert

[posting updated]

It would be nice to have a DfM background picture ! Not white, not black, maybe a nice picture or colouring theme.

I don't know how to do this so that it fits with the 'Items' of MainForm  :-[  I googled a little bit around and I found some postings which said, that for a Form-object it is not possible to set a background picture. Is there anyone know what to do about this ? 

Or any other idea about that background topic ? We could stay with the current implementation and define a specific background colour that fits to the text colours. But many devices, such as Nokias, show ugly 'stripes' between the translation texts (see Nokia screenshot above).

What could be done to get rid of these 'stripes' ? Any help on this will be highly appreciated !!

Gert