Dictionary Browser Implemented!

Started by zz85, 03. May 2007, 16:17:59

Previous topic - Next topic

zz85

QuoteGood news. I've got the browser implemented and working.

My next step will be the file decompression. I already have some J2SE codes to compress to an archive- we could use it to extra from old jars and place them in new files.

My current implementation I working with is tar with zlib compression. We might be able to implement zip/jar support, but I sort of given up on it at the moment. Infact, tar with zlib gives greater compression, although my guess is its slower.

Gert

Wow that was fast !!

Hope that the source code from Steven could help you.

On the compression: well, my idea was to access the JAR-files that can be downloaded from our download page via JSR-75. That would require a zip/jar decompression library. The advantage with this is that there is no need to convert the downloaded JAR-file to another format. However I am not aware of any ready-to-use zip decompression library for Java ME and probably there is quite some effort involved in making one available (which, on the other hand, once available would be useable on other projects as well !).

One thing that we should keep in mind: the heap on cell phones is limited, depending on the device, maybe 1 MB, even less on some devices, more on other devices. So it is not possible to load the complete ZIP file on the heap. And to make things even harder: as far as I know there is no 'random file access' supported by JSR-75 (fortunately this behaviour can be achieved with InputStream.skip() ).

Well, if there is a working solution with a compression other than the zip/jar-compression, it is certainly worth looking at this. However, then we will need to have an extra conversion tool to create the files the new format.

So this is really a challenging task !!!

Greetings,
Gert