Dictionary publishing for Java ME, Java SE, Android, WebApp

Started by Gert, 30. October 2013, 21:04:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

Colleagues,

We have 4 DfM implementations that we support

• Java ME: for the huge number of traditional mobiles, still frequently sold in developing countries, in other countries rapidly replaced by smartphones
  • Java SE: for classic desktop systems, e.g. Microsoft Windows, Linux
  • Android: the shooting star for smartphones and tablets; crucial for the future of DictionaryForMIDs, cause among those users who are using DfM the Android users probably will have the biggest share (well, that is my guess).
  • upcoming: WebApp: for iPhone, Windows Mobile, FirefoxOS, Tizen, and the rest; (besides, also runs on Windows, Linux, Android)

For dictionary publishing:

• Java ME: App is included in the dictionary JAR file; OTA download still not implemented (big problem, cause most owners of  Java ME mobiles do not know how to download/install an app).
  • Java SE: can directly load a downloaded dictionary JAR file
  • Android: reference to dictionary JAR needs to be added to 'Android dictionary database' (Achim, what is the right term for this ?)
  • WebApp: relies on HTML5 'Application Cache' for offline capability; dictionary JAR file needs to be extracted so that each of the files are accessible via HTTP. I will make a separate posting on this to explain details.

Publishing dictionaries for all these implementations is quite a challenge and an effort:

• the dictionary JAR file, packed in ZIP file together with JAD and copyright files, needs to be uploaded to the Sourceforge FRS
  • download page needs to be amended (dictxxx.html).
  • the dictionary JAR needs to be manually added to the 'Android dictionary database' (Achim it is manually, right ?)
  • the dictionary JAR file needs to be extracted for the WebApp (this is done by a shell script; separate posting to explain follows). I guess in the future we also need to provide a line for the WebApp on the download page. Hmmm, any ideas on this ? We should put additional links for the WebApp for each dictionary on the download page, or any other idea ?

Dear Stars Soft, can you do this each time when a new dictionary gets published ?

Let me know your thoughts on this.

With best greetings,
Gert

starssoft

Gert,

• the dictionary JAR file, packed in ZIP file together with JAD and copyright files, needs to be uploaded to the Sourceforge FRS
  • download page needs to be amended (dictxxx.html).

At present, i'm taking care of this.  If you provide write access to "/home/pfs/project/dictionarymid"  directory in "frs.sourceforge.net". then, it would be more easy to upload files via sftp client.

• the dictionary JAR needs to be manually added to the 'Android dictionary database' (Achim it is manually, right ?)

While publishing every dictionary, i use to send a mail to achim with dictionaries names and links. Achim is planned to create a script to automate it.

• the dictionary JAR file needs to be extracted for the WebApp (this is done by a shell script; separate posting to explain follows).

I don't have any idea about executing shell script.  If i get understand about executing shell script, i'll do it as soon as the files get uploaded.

• I guess in the future we also need to provide a line for the WebApp on the download page. Hmmm, any ideas on this ? We should put additional links for the WebApp for each dictionary on the download page, or any other idea ?

It would be better to have seperate page for webApps with copyright informations and precondition elements (like caching should be enabled, etc.,).

It's greate to know that DfM is now available in all platforms.