no results showing on Sony Ericsson z710

Started by Rick, 22. April 2009, 02:16:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Hello-
I just installed the Chinese Dictionary for MIDS on my mobile phone- Sony Ericsson z710.

It looks like a great program, but for some reason it is not displaying any results for me when I press "translate".

I can input English or Chinese, but it just returns blank, although a scroll bar appears (as if a list of translations might be there).

I have version 3.1.2.

I am in China, the phone came with the Chinese already on it (and English).

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
Thanks for any help.

Gert

Hallo Rick,

in the Settings dialogue, can you deactivate the 'Coloured display' and then try again ?

Regards,
Gert

Rick

Thanks Gert, but I've tried that and done all kinds of fiddling with the settings.  No success.

But I did manage to find 2.7.0 and that works fine.

Rick

Gert

Oh, 2.7.0 works ???

Well, we need to find someone with Java experience who will track down those problems that exist on some SonyEricsson platforms, probably best with the SonyEricsson 'on-device debugger'; otherwise we will not get rid of these SonyEricsson problems.

Anyway, thank you for testing !!

Regards,
Gert

NewAgeMobile

In my case, I think I managed to solve this by replacing the Font.stringWidth() calls in StringColourItem with a workaround;
It appears that on the device (in my case SE K800i), some of the 'non defined' characters are breaking the function.

see also: http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=145.0

Gert

One remark: Rick reported that also with deactivated 'Coloured display' this problem exits. StringColourItems are only used when 'Coloured display' is activated. For deactivated 'Coloured display' the built-in StringItems are used.

Gert