Wiktionary on DfM: please test and send feedback

Started by Gert, 29. March 2010, 06:39:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

Zdenek did set up a dictionary that comes from the Wiktionary. You can download it here:

http://www.kugihan.de//dict/download/test_versions/3.5prerelease1/dfm_wiktionary.zip

Just let us know if it works well and if it is useful.

Regards,
Gert

axin

I just tried it on Android: That's an amazing number of languages in just one dictionary! And it's good to test how the app handles them...
I ran some random searches (never really used wiktionary before), the results seem to be fine, and now I really can see the importance of removeTranslationsWithEmptyToTexts.

I found a small problem, not sure if it comes from the dictionary or the Android implementation (as I'm involved in the Android implementation I'll make sure I blame the dictionary first :P ):
There are some strange entries where fromTexts and toTexts both are Err:508. I found that during multiple searches, e.g. search German -> Latin or German -> Japanese for * and check the results.

Sure, it's quite a pain to find a specific language pair in the current UI, the list just gets too long. We should think about a different way to present this to the user...

Anyways, good job!
Achim

Gert

Thanks for looking at Android ! Good to know that the Wiktionary also works on Android.

Sure, it's quite a pain to find a specific language pair in the current UI, the list just gets too long. We should think about a different way to present this to the user...

For Java ME I implemented the following: if the dictionary contains a big number of languages, then in the settings dialogue the radio buttons for selecting the language are replaced by combo boxes. See the attached screenshot.

QuoteI found a small problem, not sure if it comes from the dictionary or the Android implementation (as I'm involved in the Android implementation I'll make sure I blame the dictionary first Tongue ):
There are some strange entries where fromTexts and toTexts both are Err:508. I found that during multiple searches, e.g. search German ->  Latin or German -> Japanese for * and check the results.

This is the same for Java ME. Those "Err:508" are really part of the dictionary. I will inform Zdenek about this problem.

Thanks for checking with your Android version !
Best regards,
Gert

axin

Quote from: Gert on 30. March 2010, 20:01:33

For Java ME I implemented the following: if the dictionary contains a big number of languages, then in the settings dialogue the radio buttons for selecting the language are replaced by combo boxes. See the attached screenshot.

Looks good, the combo boxes are much better for those huge dictionaries... it's on my TODO now ;)

Cheers,
Achim