Creating a dictionary "Deutsch - Tagalog"

Started by Römmi, 06. August 2009, 11:07:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Römmi

Hello to everybody!

I've got two questions.

1. Is there a chance to change the side "Setting up a new dictionary for DictionaryForMIDs" that also people like me  ;) can understand how to create a new dictionary?
Maybe an explanation which is using "normal" words or some pictures as well to see what to do exactly.
I mean just to simplify the side would be very helpful for "normal" users.

2. Can somebody help me to create a new dictionary " Deutsch - Tagalog"?
I have already an Exel form with quite a lot of words which I could integrate.
I'm working as a nautical officer and there will be a lot of time for that, next to my normal duties ...

Thanks a lot,
  Jan

dreamingsky

Setting up a dictionary is a 3 step process.

Step 1: Prepare the data file.

Setup the Excel file with 2 columns: headword and definition
Save the file as "Unicode text" (Unicode UTF-16LE)
Open the file in Microsoft Office and then resave the file as "plain text" (other encoding: Unicode UTF-8)
(the data file will be ready to go with a tab between the headword and definition)

Step 2: Create the DictionaryForMIDs.properties file

Paste this into Microsoft Word:

infoText: Deutsch - Tagalog
dictionaryAbbreviation: Deu-Tgl
numberOfAvailableLanguages: 2

language1DisplayText: Deutsch
language2DisplayText: Tagalog
language1FilePostfix: Deu
language2FilePostfix: Tgl

language1IsSearchable: true
language2IsSearchable: true
language1GenerateIndex: true
language2GenerateIndex: true

language1HasSeparateDictionaryFile: false
language2HasSeparateDictionaryFile: false

dictionaryGenerationSeparatorCharacter: '\t'
indexFileSeparationCharacter: '\t'
searchListFileSeparationCharacter: '\t'
dictionaryFileSeparationCharacter: '\t'

fileEncodingFormat: plain_format1
dictionaryGenerationInputCharEncoding: UTF-8
indexCharEncoding: UTF-8
searchListCharEncoding: UTF-8
dictionaryCharEncoding: UTF-8

language1NormationClassName=de.kugihan.dictionaryformids.translation.normation.NormationGer
language2NormationClassName: de.kugihan.dictionaryformids.translation.NormationFil

Change "infoText: Deutsch - Tagalog" to the name of the dictionary you downloaded and include the website where you got the dictionary.
For example:
infoText: EDICT by Jim Breen http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/j_edict.html (version 25Oct06)

Then save the file as a Unicode UTF-8 plain text file again.

Step 3:
Run DictionaryforMIDs

Download 3 files:
http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/newdict.html

1. DictionaryForMIDs_DictionaryGeneration_3.1.0.zip
2. DictionaryForMIDs_3.3.0_empty.zip
3. DictionaryForMIDs_JarCreator_3.1.2.zip

Extract the 3 files and put them plus your data file and DictionaryForMIDs.properties file in the 'C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl\' directory.

java -jar C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl\DictionaryGeneration.jar C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl\Deu_Tgl.txt C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl\dictionary C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl

Change 'Deu_Tgl.txt' to the name of your data file.
Save the file as plain text (Western European encoding) and save it as 'setup.bat'

java -jar C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl\JarCreator.jar C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl\dictionary C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl\JAR\

Save the file as plain text (Western European encoding) and save it as 'jar.bat'
Then go Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

Type setup [Enter]
Type jar [Enter]

That's it.  The dictionary is ready to go in C:\Temp\Dict\Deu_Tgl\JAR\.  If you want you can upload it to Sourceforge for others to enjoy.  E-mail one of us on the Contacts page and we can upload it.

Hope that helps

Römmi

Hey "dreamingsky"!

Thanks a lot for your answer.  :)

I'll start my next job in some days so I saved all the files I need for a dictionary and will take them with me at the vessel.
Hope I can manage all the stuff there and I can upload the dictionary when I'll be back.

Jan

Römmi

Hello "dreamingsky"!
I'm back in Germany now and started right away to finish the dictionary.
but ... guess I'm to stupid for that!  :-\
I could follow you explanation until step 3, point 2, 3 etc. and then ...???
I hope that it's fine for you when I send "my work" as an attachment and hope you can finish the last steps for all of us.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Jan

P. S. There is no special internet side where I found the vocabulary, I was using everything I could find, so I don't know what to write and if you like to put your name as an author, no problem for me!
Two more questions: Can I later change the vocabulary if there might be a mistake? And can I put more words to complete the dictonary?
Again thanks a lot!

dreamingsky

Yes, I can help finish the last step.  I just need to know where you got the word list.

QuoteP. S. There is no special internet site where I found the vocabulary, I was using everything I could find
No problem, can you just post links here of the top 3 webpages you used to make the word list?  Please sort the list by writing the webpage you used the most at the top of the list.

QuoteCan I later change the vocabulary if there might be a mistake? And can I put more words to complete the dictonary?
Yes, no problem.  Please upload the final version of the word list you want on the forum.

Römmi

Hey again! Cool!!  :)
Most of the list I get from "http://www.de-it.ch/lexikon-deutsch-tagalog.htm"
Hope that's enough cause other words I found by just roaming around and I can't remember exactly where I found them.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!
   Jan

dreamingsky

Here you go.  It's ready to go.

I added this to your infoText in the DictionaryForMIDs.properties:
infoText: Deutsch - Tagalog (by Piero Peruzzi) 02Feb04 http://www.de-it.ch/lexikon-deutsch-tagalog.htm

I included a neat little utility called "Command Prompt Here" released by Microsoft back with Windows 2000.  Unzip the file, right-click it, and click Install.  This will let you start the Command Prompt from any directory.

Extract "DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_GerTgl_Peruzzi(source)" to your "C:\" (root) directory.

In Windows Explorer, right click on the C:\Temp\Deu-Tgl directory and click on "CMD Prompt Here".

type setup [Enter]
type jar [Enter]

Then you're done.  The JAR and JAD file will come up in the C:\Temp\Deu-Tgl\JAR directory.

If you get an error message about not finding Java, then you might need to add Java to your Windows Path:
Start -> Command Prompt -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables -> System Variables -> Path -> Edit

Add this to the end of your path (you need the ";"):
;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\
Then reboot and you should be good to go.

You might want to upload your dictionary to the DictionaryforMIDs website.  E-mail Peter Kmet (see the Contacts page http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/contact.html) to e-mail the file to be uploaded.

Have fun