illogicalities-requests: capital-letter ignore search, "forced" diacritics

Started by rava, 09. April 2008, 00:17:30

Previous topic - Next topic

rava

1]  captial-initials-workaround please?
I use "auto captialization" on my UIQ, handy thing with longer texts. However, when using DicMID, submitting query  with first letter in upper-case returns zero search matches. Couldn't there be a little, tiny condition in place to check this, or even option to automatically start all searches lower-case?
Switching to low-case every time is a bit time consuming, annoying and actualy makes me not to use the dictionary. Of course i could switch off the "auto captialization" - but c'mon, that's why i got a phone with full keyboard and large screen so that i could write texts on it ;-)

2] Diacritics: could i have an option to simply ignore it?
Again, typing in words with exact diacritics is painfully slow. I believe it would only needs a simple cycle/filter to convert any special characters to plain 256 ASCII...
Now, I realise there are potential problems with matching the "plain ascii" search string with the "diacritics" database... still i'd be grateful!

I am talking about English/Czech dictionary here, but this clearly applies generaly.
UIQ3, Sony Ericsson M600i

Gert

Thank you for your posting !

On your point 1:
Handling of capitalization is done by the 'Normation' class that is configured in the dictionary. Usually, Normation classes do ignore upper and lower case. That means it does not make a difference whether you search for "home" or "Home" or "HOME", you will always get the same result.
Of course a dictionary may choose a Normation class with a different behaviour.

On your point 2:
Again this is handled by the 'Normation' class. Usually characters such as - / etc. are simply ignored, also à is handled like a, ô like o and so on. All of this in order to simplify searching.
Again, it depends on the Normation class that is configured with the dictionary.

So for your 2 points DictionaryForMIDs provides a solution. I know many dictionaries which make use of this. Actually, if a dictionaries simply uses the default Normation classes for their languages (NormationEng, NormationLat, NormationGer, ...), then this will work.

I will occasionally look how this was done for the English-Czech dictionary.

Regards,
Gert

Gert

I just quickly checked the English-Czech dictionary from the 'All free dictionaries project' (dfm-english-czech.zip; unfortunately running on an old DfM version): in my test, capital letter ignore search worked perfectly, for diacritics I did see that NormationLat is configured for Czech; this should help for most diacritics (we still would have to check whether 100% of the Czech language is covered).

There is also another English/Czech dictionary, from set up by Peter Kmet. There I noted that NormationEng is configured for English (i.e. all should work perfectly for English) but no Normation class for Czech is configured (i.e. ignoring of capitalization etc. is not activated for Czech).

Which dictionary did you use ?

Gert