I can't install Japanese-English (EDICT) dictionary 3.1.2 to my p990i,help!!

Started by funfun, 20. February 2008, 06:54:01

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamingsky

funfun

Thanks for all your hard work.  So the dictionary fails at 108,503 entries (out of 120,179 entries).

I'm wondering if the number of entries might affect the performance.  The "Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary" English-English is 11MB (the EDICT dictionary is only 9MB).  But, I'm thinking the EDICT dictionary might have more entries with shorter definitions, whereas the Webster's dictionary has fewer entries with longer definitions.

Gert, maybe changing the settings in the DictionaryForMIDs.properties file might help.  Right now I have the settings at:
dictionaryGenerationMinNumberOfEntriesPerDictionaryFile: 200
dictionaryGenerationMinNumberOfEntriesPerIndexFile: 500

Would different numbers work better?

Changing this might fix the "...max nr of hits reached" problem.  But I still have no idea what is causing the "cannot read the jar file" error.

Also, funfun, are you using the Bitmap font option in DfM?  Or did you add a 3rd party program to add Japanese fonts on your phone?

Jeff

Gert

DictionaryForMIDs uses an elaborated index structure. Thanks to this, even _very_ large dictionaries (with more than 1 million entries) have in general quick search times (if there are not too many matches, because the search time increases with the number of matches).

However: certain devices do exhibit a slow performance when there is a big number of files in the JAR file. Increasing the values for

dictionaryGenerationMinNumberOfEntriesPerDictionaryFile
dictionaryGenerationMinNumberOfEntriesPerIndexFile

will decrease the number of files in the JAR file and improve performance. However this also will increase the file size and require more RAM capacity on the device. Very roughly speaking, I'd say with files below 200 kb in size, no problems should show up for RAM capacity.

Long explanation above, BUT it will not help with the 'max nr of hits reached'. The 'max nr of hits reached' will be displayed if for a search criteria there are more than a certain number of matches (I believe this number is set to 30; or 50 ?). In such a case, the 30 matches will be displayed and after this the 'max nr of hits reached'.

So 'max nr of hits reached' is simply shown when, for example, you enter 'a*' as a search criteria, because there will be plenty of matches.

Hope that helps a little bit ...
Gert