I can't install Japanese-English (EDICT) dictionary 3.1.2 to my p990i,help!!

Started by funfun, 20. February 2008, 06:54:01

Previous topic - Next topic

funfun

I can't install Japanese-English (EDICT) dictionary 3.1.2 to my p990i,when i install from .jar file,it says file error,when i install form .jad file ,it seems to be installed,but in fact not installed,i found this problem from last version,and unfortunately,this version also have this problem.

dreamingsky

Hmm, have you tried installing other dictionaries?  Do any of the other ones work OK?

Also, for clarification - is your phone a Sony Ericsson P990i? (any phone that starts with a "P" and ends with an "i" and wants a Japanese dictionary leads me to guess you might have a DoCoMo FOMA phone).

Also, are you installing the full version (8.9MB) dictionary?  Or are you installing the reduced "(P)" (2MB) dictionary?

funfun

my phone is Sony Ericsson P990i,the 2MB version works well.the full version (8.9MB) can't install.

dreamingsky

Would you mind finding the "JAR-file size limit" of your phone?  Maybe Google for the infomation.  If the 2MB dictionary works OK, but the 9MB dictionary doesn't, then I'm thinking the phone can't handle 9MB Java files.

If your phone can do 9MB Java files, then I guess I'm out of ideas.  Maybe Gert or someone might have more ideas.

funfun

i used to setup a 13MB jar file,and it works great,so i think it's not a JAR-file size limit problem.
i googled it and found that "there are no any restrictions on SIS/JAR file size; the only limit is the device's memory size or free memory at the card"

Gert

SonyEricsson's P-Series is Symbian based, and yes, Symbian should install the application as long as space is available.

Did I well understand that you did set up a 13 MB dictionary with DfM and that your P990i did install and run this dictionary well ?

And when you install the 9 MB Japanese JAR file, then there is only a "file error" message ? No additional word on the error reason ?

Gert

funfun

yes,i  did set up a 13 MB dictionary and run this dictionary well,but the dictionary is not from this site.
there is a message says that can't read this jar file.

Gert

Terminology: do you mean by 'set up a dictionary' that you installed a different application (not DictionaryForMIDs) of 13 MB size ?

We use the term "set up a dictionary" as "create a DictionaryForMIDs JAR file with the content of a dictionary".

Please, letter by letter, what exactly is the error message (we can search the develper documentation for it) ?

Gert

funfun

the error message is "cannot read the jar file"

"Terminology: do you mean by 'set up a dictionary' that you installed a different application (not DictionaryForMIDs) of 13 MB size ?"
sorry,i did not say it clearly,i just install this dictionary build by others,i just use it,not build it.
the dictionary i installed is a chinese japanese dictionary,you can download it here
http://pickup.mofile.com/0526911641631829
and the DictionaryForMIDs_2.4.3_webster.zip  (11492 kB) works great in my phone too,so it's not a JAR-file size limit problem.

Gert

I just looked at the 9MB EDICT - and I did not find anything in its configuration which deviates from the 2MB EDICT.

Did you try repeatedly to install the 9MB file ?  And after this installation failed, when after this failure you try to install the 13 MB file, that one works ?

Gert

funfun

"
Did you try repeatedly to install the 9MB file ?  And after this installation failed, when after this failure you try to install the 13 MB file, that one works ?
"

yes,i try to install it repeatedly.
after this failure,the 13 MB file can be installed and works well.

Gert

Ok, thanks !

By now I also scanned the P990i developer sheet - unfortunately there I did not find useful information on this topic.

For the moment I have no good idea what the reason of the problem is - except that it might be a problem with the firmware. Did you upgarde your P990i to the latest firmware version ?

If you already are running the latest firmware version: then we should try to find someone who can try to track down the problem on the P990i by step by step modification of the JAR file - till it finally works. We know that the 2 MB file does work, now we 'only' need to find someone who is using a zip tool to modify the file JAR file piece by piece till it looks like the 2MB file (e.g. by exchanging the content of the dictionary folder). Somewhere in this process the JAR file will run and we can exactly identify what change caused the problem.

I believe SonyEricsson recently started to offer an 'online access' to some of their devices, similar as Nokia does for their Symbians. If there was access to a P990i, that may be a chance to do some testing also for persons who do not own a P990i.

Gert

dreamingsky

funfun

I can e-mail you the source files for the EDICT dictionary.  Then you can make changes until the JAR and JAD files will work on your phone.  Send me an empty e-mail to jeffkrengel (at) hotmail.com.  Then I'll e-mail you the source files.

Once you get them then:

1. run c:\temp\dict\EDICT(P)\setup.bat
2. run c:\temp\dict\fontgenerator.jar
- font: select MSMincho
- directory: select c:\temp\dict\EDICT(P)\Dictionary
3. run c:\temp\dict\EDICT(P)\jar.bat
4. install DictionaryForMIDs_EngJpn_EDICT-P.jad and DictionaryForMIDs_EngJpn_EDICT-P.jar to your phone and see if it works

This 1st setup should work OK since it is the exact setup on the DfM website.

- Then copy about 10,000 lines from the "Japanese_EDICT_(non-P-only).txt" file to the end of the "Japanese_EDICT(P).txt" file.
- Then delete the "Dictionary" directory and make a new "Dictionary" directory in its place (it is quicker to delete the directory then to delete all the CSV files).
- Then run steps #1 - #4 again.
- Keep doing that until the JAR and JAD files no longer work on your phone.
- Then let us know when it stopped working.

Jeff

funfun

it stopped working from

[01 (n)] [02 mischief]   悪悪戯 [01 わるいたずら]

it spend me hours to find it.

funfun

So many word could not be translated when it runs in my phone,it shows a long blank page,
and at the end of this page,it says "...max nr of hits reached"