Strange dictionary problem

Started by grantza, 28. July 2013, 10:09:47

Previous topic - Next topic

grantza

There is an elderly lady in her 70's who lives in the same building as me.
The woman is wheelchair bound. Long story short, while she was on her way to the shop, some piece of trash stole her phone from her.
I had a couple of spare phones. One of which was a 6303i Classic.
She loves it, as it is simple, has a decent size display, and most importantly, the keys are spaced apart from each other.

She loves doing crossword puzzles, so I tried installed a dictionary for her.
For some reason when the application opens, it appears to load correctly, but there is no cursor visible on the screen. Obviously one needs the cursor in order to place it in the "search box" of the application, and then start entering the word one is looking for.
So for example, say one is searching for the meaning of a word - say the word is "hat".  
One presses the "h" key (bearing in mind there is no cursor visible & thus you are unable to type the word in the serch box) the words beginning with the letter "h" start appearing.
Then you enter the letter "a", and so words beginning with the letters "h" & "a" start to appear.
However, without the use of the search box, one has no idea (or record) as to what letters one has already entered.

I have tried 3 different dictionary applications on this phone, all have the same problem.
I load the identical applications onto an ancient and battered 6300 I had lying in a drawer, and all the dictionary applications work as they should. One can move the cursor into the search box, and the letters one enters, appear in the search box as they should do.

The 6303i Classic I gave to her was unused & brand new. It is stock standard with no 3rd party applications at all and functions flawlessly in every area. The problem is related to dictionary applications only.
What puzzles me, is that the same dictionary apps all work perfectly on the old battered 6300.
The firmware version on her phone is:
V 09.83
21-09-10
RM-638

On the old trashed 6300, the version is:
V 07.21
05-11-08
RM-217

I have attached a screenshot of a similar application which displays the application, with text entered into the search box (the way it is supposed to work).
Any assistance would be appreciated in helping solve this issue for this poor lady.

Gert

To talk about DfM, did I understant correct, that you are not able to enter any character in what you call "search box" ?

Did you try to use a funtion such as "new word" from the menu ? Because that puts the focus on the "search box", and then all entered characters should show up there.

Regards,
Gert

grantza

Lets take the word "jam" for example.
If one presses the "j" key, the letter "j" should appear in the search box. Instead, after a few seconds a list of words beginning with the letter "j" appears.
Then one presses the "a" key. Normally the letters "ja" would appear in the search box. Instead, a list of words beginning with "ja" appear.
Then one presses the letter "m". Normally the letters "jam" would appear in the search box. Instead, a list of words beginning with the letters "jam" appears.

After a few seconds the letters "jam" now appear in the search box.

On the old phone of mine where the application works correctly, when the dictionary application is launched, a blinking / flashing cursor immediately appears in the search box.
On the new phone (6303i) that I gave to the lady, when the app is launched, no blinking cursor (ever) appears.
There seems to be some sort of delay on the phone, as though it is low on memory or storage space.

Dictionary versions I have tried all behave in the same manner on the problem phone, but behave correctly on the other phone.
The versions are:
Oxford MiniDictionary 6th edition - MSDict Viewer V2.11
Consise Oxford English Dictionary 11e - MSDict Viewer V2.11
Concise Oxford Thesaurus - MSDict Viewer V2.14

Hope you are able to understand, as it is rather difficult to explain

thanks

Gert

DictionaryForMIDs is not MSdictviewer.

grantza

Apologies.

Any idea where I could try to get a solution on this.
I have tried the Nokia forums to no avail

Gert

Well, we can help with the world's best dictionary application - which is DictionaryForMIDs ;-)

For others, a good developer will have a support forum too. Did you try to contact the developer ?

Gert

grantza

No, have not tried the developer.
I suspect it is handset / firmware related, so I am going to take the phone in to a nokia service center along with the old phone that runs the various dictionaries perfectly.

I have tried about 8 different dictionaries on the problem phone, all with the same result. They all work on the old battered phone properly.
Given that, I can only assume it is the firmware / handset.

Thanks for your time in any event.

Grant