Error with Chinese Dictionary on Moto L7

Started by cdict fan, 04. November 2007, 05:19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

Well, let me thank you !!

This is a good example how we managed to solve a significant problem together. And it shows how much we from the DfM project are dependent on persons like you to provide their full support !!

Yes, you only need to use the new 'empty' file (hope that now it really works for you ;) . The version that I built for you is not yet an officially released version, but only a developer internal pre-release. I think we should work towards releasing that version as 3.2, which means that I will generally ask for testing of that version. Once testing is complete and did not unveil new problems, we can publically release it as 3.2.

Probably you will be the main tester on this 3.2 pre-release  :D

Gert

Gert

Besides, I would like to list you under the project contributors ! Is this ok four you ? Can we also post your email address there ?

Gert

P.S.: could you already successfully test the pre-release 4 version on your Motorola ?

Cryme

Hi Gert,

I don't mind being a tester at all.  But I should warn you that at times I can get pretty busy.  I'm starting work again next week.  But I'll do my best and I know it doesn't take much time to test out a few things.  Just send me an email whenever you have a testing request.  You can publish my name (Ryan Newson), but I'd prefer if you really need to publish my email address use rwnewson (at) hotmail.com   Also keep in mind that I only have one cell phone - my Motorola K1 KRZR (quite new).

I tested the prerelease4 version of 3.2.0 that you gave me the link for, and it seems to work perfectly.  I created my Cantonese dictionary with it and it's really good.  I used the same Normation and Update classes as CEDICT and they work great.  But I still would like the additional changes as I indicated in my other thread:
http://dictionarymid.gottfried-signs.ch/index.php?topic=79.0

I would ordinarily give you my dictionary to publish on your site (if you're interested) (Cantonese is Chinese, but quite different than CEDICT which is Mandarin only), but I can't take credit for the database.  I'll have to get permission from the author of the database I used.

Ryan

Gert

Ryan,

well, all of us are busy with job etc. We are supporting the DfM project on an 'as possible' basis. Sometimes it takes much longer to get a task done than we thought ;)

I just added your name at the contributors. I will add your Cantonese dictionary once it can be published at some place (hope the author will agree; besides, did you already read http://dictionarymid.gottfried-signs.ch/index.php?topic=8.0 ?).

As for testing: we do not yet have any formalized testing yet and we do not yet have specific test instructions. We would like to be sure that with a new version, there are no significant new problems (such as with the Motorola phones in 3.1 !). So before we release a new version, we are just asking people to check whether it works fine. I'll post such a general test request in the forum shortly (actually, I am rather busy starting right now). If you just 'play around' with your Cantonese dictionary on 3.2, that's good testing ! Äh, and please don't find any errors  :-X

Thank you again !!!

Gert

bahathir

Hello world. This is my first post.

I found this site/apps yesterday, and downloaded couple of dictionaries (EDICT and WordNET) from the link at download page. But it failed to run on my Motorola RAZR V3xx. It gave 'Application Error' and based on modifications in this thread discussions, I managed to run it.

Today, I managed to upgrade the dictionary 'core' part to the latest v 3.2 pre and it works PERFECTLY.

Here is the way how I did it. Note: I did it all in GNU/Linux Slackware.

1) Extract the original dictionary .jar file into a directory using unzip

$ mkdir work
$ cd work
$ unzip /path/to/dictionary.jar

2) Now replace the 'core' by OVERWRITE files from the empty v3.2-pre .jar

$ unzip /path/to/DFM/latest/empty/DictionaryForMIDs.jar

2a) You may edit META-INF/MANIFEST.MF to reflect your dictionary

3) Make .jar file a bit smaller, by optimizing PNG files using optipng. You may skip this part.

$ find . -iname \*.png | while read f; do optipng $f; done

4) Finally, zip files and sub/directories to a new jar.

$ zip -9rD /path/to/new/dictionary.jar .

5) Now, we are done, and transfer it to your mobile phone.

I also would like to share the screenshots from the phone.

Here I would like to share the modified dictionaries which works in my RAZR V3xx, based on this message.

http://bahathir.googlepages.com/DictionaryForMIDs_3.2-pre_WordNET.jar
http://bahathir.googlepages.com/DictionaryForMIDs_3.2-pre_EDICT.jar

BTW, my phone cannot manage to show all  Kanji/Japanese characters in EDICT because, my phone only have Simplified Chinese Character font/language pack.

TQ.

Gert

Wow, what a posting ! I am very much impressed !! Really !

Hey, maybe you would like to do the task to put all the other dictionaries on the latest version of DfM ?? This would be urgently needed ! See http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/needhelp.html  / "Maintaining dictionaries available with the latest version of DictionaryForMIDs".

On the Kanji fonts: Thanks to Sean (and Sebastian) DfM supports bitmap fonts. We just need to find someone who is setting up the bitmap font for EDICT then you will have Kanji on your Motorola. Maybe you would like ... bitmap fonts are documented at http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/bitmapfont.html

Your point 3) is also interesting.

Best greetings,
Gert

P.S.: Slackware, hmmm, reminds me about the 'good old days' when I still was hacking with Linux ...

leekohl

I recently got a cast-off Moto Razr V3xx that I've been working on getting the DFM for Chinese working. Well, after several days of banging the thing against my head it worked, and all because of this post. I thought I'd add my experience to help others possibly on the same road.

I essentially did what Bahathir did; I used the info on http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/newdict.html#SetupJARUpdate though. The 'manual' way turned out to be the easiest, I don't see the point of messing about with yet more quirky programs.

1. download the (non-functioning) 3.1.2 Chinese dictionary
2. download the 'Empty' dictionary (again, from the site above)
3. rename both to .zip from .jar
4. open the former in explorer (other platforms may have to unzip, generally not preferable) and copied the 'dictionary' directory
5. paste said dictionary directory to some temp location and remove the 'fonts' file from within it. copy these two files now
6. paste the two files into the main dir of the 'Empty dictionary' zip file
7. rename the 'empty' dictionary back to .jar
8. Don't forget to adjust the 'size' line in the associated .jad file (came with the Empty dict). To make this the truly 'idiot's guide' version, open the 'properties' of the new dictionary you've created. Copy the 'size' line (not the 'size on disk'). Now open the .jad file in Notepad. The last line states the size. Paste yours over the existing one, and delete all commas spaces and other junk leaving only the numbers. Save and close.

I used MIDway 2.8 to upload the files to my V3xx. No more 'application error'! If you want more info, or the copies of the files in question feel free to reply. And a big thanks for Bahathir's brilliant yet amazingly simple idea! Bloody dictionary is fanplastic, it even shows trad/simp side by side. Damn nice.

Gert

Great !

Hey, say, with all your knowledge, would you like to take the task "Maintaining dictionaries available with the latest version of DictionaryForMIDs" (see http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/needhelp.html) !!??

Gert

edson

Tried this solution in the normal V3 (without micro-sd slot), without success....
"Aplication error" always appear after successfull instalation using Midway 2.8..... tried with own dictionary with 3.3 and 3.2 versions.....

The 3.3 version of my dictionary is work fine in other cell phones (tested on: Moto V8, v360, z3, smartphone WM5 with esmertec java, pda WM3 with ibm j9 java, some LG, SONY and NOKIA phones)

In my zire 72 (PALM OS) with IBM j9 java, it works but randomly freezes with "Fatal Alert - MemoryMgr.c, Line: 2621 Chunk Over-locked" and I have to soft-reset my pda. Its always on the second ore third word i translate......

Also tried with the DictionaryForMIDs_3.2.0_pre-release 4_empty from here (with own dictionary and empty), but also had the application error..... 
I had sucess with a 2.7 version of a dictionary (DictionaryForMIDs_2.7.0_EngRom_Var) and DictionaryForMIDs_2.4.0_EngPor_IDP

I know that Normal V3 is CLCD 1.0. Is it the problem? What version os the dictionary would work in the v3 with CLCD 1.0 java?

Regards

Edson