Error with Chinese Dictionary on Moto L7

Started by cdict fan, 04. November 2007, 05:19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Cryme

Hello,

Again, this file results in a "Failed. Invalid File" error message.

I don't know if this helps, but when trying to create my own dictionary, I noticed that if I used the JarCreator.jar file to create the jar files, the installation at least got to the "Application Error" stage.  But if I tried to edit an existing dictionary by opening it in WinRAR and replacing files, it said "Failed. Invalid File.".  So maybe that gives a clue.

Ryan

Gert

Hmmm, that's a good hint from you. Normally it should be possible to add a dictionary with any ZIP tool. I don't know about WinRAR, but if it handles ZIP files, then this should work.

However it is important to drop the JAD file then, otherwise there will be an error (JarCreator does update the JAD too).

Did you only install the JAR file without the JAD file ?

Gert

Cryme

Hi,

WinRAR does handle ZIP files as well as RAR files (obviously), JAR files, and many more types.

I don't really understand the JAD files...  When I copy those files to my phone, they don't show up in my list of applications to install.  If I copy both JAR and JAD files to my phone, then go to "Applications" and "Install New", I get a list of names with no file extensions... and only the JAR files seem to show up.  I don't know if the JAD files do something "in the background" when I install the associated JAR files or not.  I can't really tell.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Ryan

Gert

Each phone handles installation of Java applications differently. Also whether and how they show the JAD files.

JAD files (JAva Description files) contain very similar information as the meta-inf/manifest.mf file in the JAR file. JAD files also contain the size of the JAR file, so when the JAR file is modified, then this size is incorrect.

Here is what the MOTOKRZR K1 Java™ ME Developer Guide says about "Failed: Invalid File":

QuoteJAD
Download
Missing or incorrectly formatted
mandatory JAD attributes
Mandatory:
MIDlet-Name (up to 32 symbols)
MIDlet-Version
MIDlet-Vendor (up to 32 symbols)
MIDlet-JAR-URL (up to 256
symbols) MIDlet-JAR_Size

That reads like a problem with the JAD file - which should not happen for the test versions because there is only a JAR file and no JAD file (those test versions don't need a JAD file).

I don't know how the installation on the Motorolas work. Is it possible that you _only_ provide the JAR file, no JAD file at all ?

Well, I will provide you with a JAD file for the last version, in case that makes your Motorola happy ;)

Gert

Gert

OOPS - I just realize that I made an unbelieveably stupid typo !!! In the version number there is 3.2.o (letter o) instead of 3.2.0 !!

I can't remember that I made such a stupid type during the last 5 years :( :(

I believe this must have been the reason for the invalid file errors of the last versions. Hmmm, Sun's WTK emulator did not complain about the incorrect version number.

Well, if you did not yet lose confidence in my building of test versions ... I just updated the last version_6. Maybe you could give this another try ? Chances that it'll work this time are good ! :)

Gert

Cryme

Well it's back to the "Application Error" message again, which is a little bit of an improvement, but back to the original problem.  So it must be something really fundamental between the 2.7.0 and 3.x.x that is causing the problem.

Ryan

Cryme

By the way, I just got my new dictionary up and running in the 2.7.0 version (I will convert to the 3.2.0 version when we figure this problem out) but I had a question about making or finding a Normation Class.  I made a new post:

http://dictionarymid.gottfried-signs.ch/index.php?topic=79.0

With your experience maybe you can help!  Thanks again!

Ryan

Gert

We have a working version (2.7.0) and a non-working version (3.1), so it should be possible to narrow down and identify the reason why 3.1 is not working any more. It is just a question how many test loops this needs ...

I did update version_4 and version_5. If you could do a test again ... ?

4.  http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/for_Ryan/version_4/DictionaryForMIDs.jar

5.  http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/for_Ryan/version_5/DictionaryForMIDs.jar

These are JAR-files only again, no JAD file exists for those versions.

One question: after installing an applications on your Motorola, does the cell phone automatically start the application following the installation ?

Thanks for your enduring patience !

Gert

Cryme

Both of those files result in an "Application Error" message, just like before.
Sorry!  :)
Ryan

Gert

Hmmmm, maybe the reason of the problem is something very simple, but honestly speaking right now I have no clue

Ha, I'll have another test version. Will be some more effort for this test version, so it may take some time.

Gert

Gert

7.  http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/for_Ryan/version_7/DictionaryForMIDs.jar

Could you please test ...

That version will just display a "Test"-string. It _must_ install and run on your Motorola.

Thanks !
Gert

Cryme

Sorry!  Still doesn't work... gives me the "Application Error" message again.  It must be something really basic.  Is there a way to display this test string with the 2.7.0 version and see if that works?  I don't know... just trying to help.

Ryan

Gert

Yes, it must be something very simple ! The version_7 has only a single class with a few lines of code that just print that test string; it does not contain the dictionary application at all.

Here is the JAR file from 2.7.0 'empty' that I have in my archive. Could you try to install that one:
8.  http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/for_Ryan/version_8/DictionaryForMIDs.jar

It should install and then throw an exception because of a mission dictionary.

Must be really a small stupid problem ...

Gert

Cryme

Hey Gert,

Yes that file installed perfectly.  When I ran it, it threw an exception - something about property file could not be opened.  But at least it installed.
What's the difference between the two jar files?

Very confusing...
Ryan