Does UI use bitmap font?

Started by mikezang, 04. August 2009, 16:13:34

Previous topic - Next topic

mikezang

I want to know if the UI interface also use Bitmap font?

For example, show Chinese UI on Japanese device, is it possible?

Gert

The Bitmap Fonts are used to show the dictionary content (i.e. the translation result of the search). So for example if you have a Japanese device which does not support the Chinese character font, the Bitmap Fonts will still show you the Chinese character font for the translation !

With the current version of DictionaryForMIDs, the Bitmap Fonts do not yet support the characters on the user interface. So for example if you switch to the Chinese user interface on a Japanese device which does not support the Chinese character fort, then the Chinese characters will not be displayed.

Well, until someone does implement Bitmap Font support for the user interface  - then this will work also  8)

Gert

mikezang

Now I found that Chinese doesn't displayed on my Japanese device. in my device, the default encode is MS932 (not UTF-9), do you have any suggestion for using bitmap font ?

Gert

It does not matter what the default encoding of your device is. I am sure that UTF-8 is supported (well I would be very much surprised if nowadays there is any mobile which does not support UTF-8).

Anyway, as far as I know, Bitmap Fonts will work with any encoding.

Still, I do recommend to use UTF-8, because this is the most widely used international encoding standard. For example, with MS932 it might happen that this is not not supported by, say, an European device.

Gert

mikezang

Is it possible to use some code as below to explicit using UTF-8 in sources?

mikezang

If I used UTF-8 encode, the exception will be displayed as below:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
at de.kugihan.dictionaryformids.dataaccess.fileaccess.JSR75InputStreamAccess.getInputStream(+27)
at de.kugihan.dictionaryformids.general.Util.openProperties(+39)
at de.kugihan.dictionaryformids.dataaccess.DictionaryDataFile.initValues(+11)
at de.kugihan.dictionaryformids.hmi_java_me.DictionaryForMIDs.<init>(+219)
at java.lang.Class.runCustomCode(+0)
at javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet.createMIDletInstance(+22)
at javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet.main(+105)
de.kugihan.dictionaryformids.hmi_java_me.DictionaryForMIDs@d590dbc 100

the code is StorageConnection file = (StorageConnection) Connector.open("file://" + fileLocation);

it is no any problems if I don't use UTF-8 encode.

mikezang

I got reason for null pointer.

the exception doesn't displayed if I have use "file%3A%2F%2F" to instead "file://".