User interface translation to Brazilian Portuguese

Started by edson, 12. January 2009, 20:02:50

Previous topic - Next topic

edson

I have made the translation for the Brazilian Portuguese and I want to use it in the DictionaryForMIDs_3.3.0_pre-release_empty to make my own dictionary........

How is the procedure to implement it? I have tried to edit the .jar file with winzip, but all files are .class so I coudn't implement it.

Can somebody help me or re-make the DictionaryForMIDs_3.3.0_pre-release_empty with the Brazilian Portuguese UI implemented?

Thanks.

Gert

That is great !

Just read http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/LanguageUITranslations.html. So basically you will have to extend the file DictionaryForMIDs.languages.

Once this file is updated you need to send it to me, then I can compile it into the next version of DictionaryForMIDs. Of course I can provide you with a test version before (however during the next 3 weeks I am 'out of town' and I do not have access to my compilation environment during these 3 week).

Tell me if you have any questions, then I can support you !

Best regards,
Gert

edson

I have already read this page, as I took the phrases to be translated there.... I have downloaded the file DictionaryForMIDs.languages but coudn't findout how to add Portuguese there... I have used notepad to edit, but it looks there's no separation for the texts.... a bit confusing for me, as I'm not a JAVA programmer.....

I have attached the translated file in the last post, so if you could update it would be great....

Also I would like to know if it would be possible to  have an item in the settings regarding the maximun view allowed in the results (30).... I have read all the forum and there's some other people that asked it....

The reason is because my "dictionary" is a karaoke song list, and I have set up SINGER as the first language and SONG as the second language, with the song number as "pronuntiation" of the seconf language.... The problem is that there's a lot of SINGER that have more than 30 songs... For example, ELVIS PRESLEY have more than 100 songs in my database, bu tonly the first 30 is showedin the results.....

Regards

Edson

Gert

Edson,

QuoteI have already read this page, as I took the phrases to be translated there.... I have downloaded the file DictionaryForMIDs.languages but coudn't findout how to add Portuguese there... I have used notepad to edit, but it looks there's no separation for the texts.... a bit confusing for me, as I'm not a JAVA programmer.....

Hmmm, that sound like the <newline> problem of Windows editors. Each of the translation texts is on a separate line. Maybe if you just could use another editor ? I believe Wordpad should handle the <newline> correctly, but not sure if it handles the UTF-8 encoding correctly.

QuoteI have attached the translated file in the last post, so if you could update it would be great....

Oh, sorry, I overlooked that file in your previous post. Would you still like to try updating DictionarfForMIDs.languages with another editor ? Otherwise I will do the update based on your file (in 3 weeks then).

QuoteAlso I would like to know if it would be possible to  have an item in the settings regarding the maximun view allowed in the results (30).... I have read all the forum and there's some other people that asked it....

Yes, ok, I can add this feature. Will put is higher in the priority list ;) 

QuoteThe reason is because my "dictionary" is a karaoke song list, and I have set up SINGER as the first language and SONG as the second language, with the song number as "pronuntiation" of the seconf language.... The problem is that there's a lot of SINGER that have more than 30 songs... For example, ELVIS PRESLEY have more than 100 songs in my database, bu tonly the first 30 is showedin the results.....

I see ! Will add such a feature either for version 3.4 or latest for version 3.5 ! Actually I can provide you with a 'private' version where the limit is set to e.g. 1000 (in 3 weeks then ...).

Best greetings !
Gert

edson

Hi Gert,
Wordpad opened DictionarfForMIDs.languages correctly, but I'll let you make the changes because I don't have the 3.3 source and I don't even know how to compile it.

As you are going to make the change regarding max number of reaches, could you make the change in language too?

Can't wait to make the tests with this new features in this "'private" version you will release....

Regards

Edson

Gert

Edson,

sure, I will include your Portuguese UI in the next version (3.4). Including a new UI language is only a matter of getting the file DictionaryForMIDs.languages updated, the rest of the building process is completely automated. I.e. when I get home in 3 weeks then I should be able to do this rather quickly and provide you with an "3.4 in development'-version.

And of course I can make a 'private spin off' from this version with the Portuguese UI with the increased maxhits quickly then.

Best greetings,
Gert

edson

Thanks a lot.

I'll be waiting this new version...

Best regards

Edson

Gert

Sorry, it'll take some more time, I am too busy right now ... keep you informed !

Gert

edson

Gert

Edson,

I know that you are waiting ... so I tried to find some time this evening:

Under http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/3.3.0/for_Edson.zip you will find a version with Portuguese and 100000 'maxHits'.

I just built this version quickly without any testing, hope it will run fine for you. Just keep me informed !

Gert

edson

Hi, Gert

Thanks for the program.

I  have tested and the portuguese translation is OK. And the results appears OK, I have made a translation with 203 results....

but when I have tested in an Moto V8, I had to turn off COLOR DISPLAY (it used to be normal in the 3.3 version) . It shuts down the program when translating with COLOR ACTIVATED, but it looks that it only happens when there's many results, when scrolling is needed....

Also, in my Ipaq (windows CE), when I make a translation the first time, the results start blinking very quickly and I can't scroll down in the results.... If I enter in the SETTINGS and leave, it becomes normal and I'm able to scroll in the results.... Well, this problem was in the other version too (3.3).

I'll keep testing in other cell phones and rty to keep you informed.

Regards

Edson

Gert

Edson,

you are a phantastic tester !!

Ok, then the Portuguese User Interface shall still go into the final 3.3.0.

You are not using bitmap fonts, right ? Hmmm, there had been some issues with the bitmap font, but the coloured display should work on 'Motorolas'.  Actually it was Vu Van Quynh who implemented this feature and tested it on his Motorola device. Well ok, I understand that also Motorola is having several lines of Java implementations, each with its own 'unexpected behaviour' ;)

I any case, to my awareness nobody changed the code for the colouring feature during the last months, so I am surprised that now a problem showed up for you. Maybe this occurs in combination with the >30 hits, because that is changed ?

Concerning your Ipaq, do you know what Java VM product there is installed ? Is it still the old (and buggy and no longer maintained) Intent SW ?

Best greetings,
Gert

edson

Gert,

I'm not using Bitmap fonts.... the color display was working on the moto V8, but this "new" version did not work.... Coor displlay is an issue on sony ericsson phones too.... w800 worked fine, but w380, and some other models I had to turn off the colour display to make it work.... But that's an different problem... on SE phones, with color display ON, it doesn't show the results, but takes the "place".... because the scroll bar appears and I'm able to navigate on the "blank" results, it looks that the result is using "invisible" color...... on the Moto V8, the program shuts down when the color is "ON"....

My ipaq is using IBM MIDP 2.0, that's really an old version. That's why I didn't tell you the last time.... I'm also using a WM5 smartphone with Esmertec Jbed and it's working very nice...... I couldn't make it work on an moto V3.... It says "Application error".... I have used a lot of version and couldn't make it work.... I'll try with this "new" version and tell you the results.....

Thanks for now...

Regards

Edson

Gert

Edson,

thank you for your elaborated testing !!

I was not aware that there are still quite a few models that have problems with the coloured-display. I think I will need to take some time to look at the implementation there !

Regards,
Gert

Gert

Edson,

Concerning the problems with the colour display: on you Motorola V8, is there an easy way to reproduce the problem ? For example do you have a specific dictionary where you translate a word and there is only one result and then the problem shows up ?

Some SonyEricsson models have problems with the refreshing, and other problems too :( . We (and specifically Sebastian) spent a lot of time on those SonyEricsson problems, but the problems never got completely resolved for all models.

Greetings !
Gert