compatibility with specific devices

Started by mikecogan, 23. November 2008, 16:08:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecogan

Hi everyone!
I'm in the market for a new device, and looking at the Nokia e71 or Nokia e63. Has anyone tried the Chinese dictionary
(the one found here:      http://www.getjar.com/products/11249/DictionaryForMIDsEnglishChinese
I assume)
for either of these yet, or any other Symbian 9.2 S60 v3.1 UI device?
Wouldn't it be too big as downloaded? (5.6 Mb)
And do you just transfer the .jar file to the smartphone and start using it, or is something else required?

Thank you so much.

Gert

Here is the information that I can give to you (without any guarantee  :P ):

1. As a Symbian OS device 5.6 MB should not be a problem

2. Yes, you just transfer the jar file (you will have to 'click' some "ok"s during the installation process) and you are ready to use the application.

Besides, Nokia offers a service where you can test applications on real devices, remotely controlled by the PC. Actually this is a service for developers to test whether their application runs fine on the Nokia devices.

Anyway, once you have your device, please keep us informed if everything runs smoothly.

Gert

mikecogan

Will do. It'll be awhile, though......I'm gonna make my old Tungsten E2 last as long as possible (even though the Graffitti input is really having problems) before going Symbian. I figure another year. I just want to make sure I can continue to use all of the important functions when I switch OS's

The only other Symbian-compatible Chinese dictionaries seem to be tiny, and pinyin input only. Nice to see CEDICT well-utilized.

Mike