Cheaper code signing certificates from Tucows

Started by mjd, 14. January 2008, 13:11:33

Previous topic - Next topic

mjd

Hi,

Here's a quote from your "JSR75" page:

http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/jsr75.html

QuoteCertification

Because the file system is accessed, the DictionaryForMIDs application needs to be signed with a certificate. Otherwise, on most devices, the user will be prompted a confirmation dialogue each time when a file is accessed. For detailed information on this see the Recommended Security Policy for GSM/UMTS devices.

For this certification task it needs to be analysed whether somehow DictionaryForMIDs can obtain a certificate - under conditions that are suitable for an Open Source project ! A commercial certificate is expensive, for example a VeriSign code signing certificate costs about $500 per year.

You may be interested to know that Tucows is offering cheaper codesigning certificates to authors who agree to put their software on Tucows (non-exclusive).

https://author.tucows.com/certs.php

How cheap?  1 year is USD75, 2 years is USD140, 3 years is USD195.

They are genuine "Comodo" code signing certificates but much cheaper than Comodo sells them for.  And the web page explicitly says they can be used to sign J2ME MIDlets.

If DictionaryForMIDS makes a signed app, I would be happy to donate USD20.

Hope this helps,

Mitch.

mjd

Hmm, that page says they have both Comodo code signing certs, and Thawte code signing certs.  The promise of J2ME MIDlets is in the Thawte column:

Certificate Options:

Comodo Code Signing Certificate - 1 yr.: $75
Comodo Code Signing Certificate - 2 yr.: $140
Comodo Code Signing Certificate - 3 yr.: $195

• Most cost effective fully validated and full supported SSL Certificates available
  • As trusted as Verisign & Thawte, yet a fraction of the price
  • 99% browser ubiquity
  • Industry standard 128bit
  • Validation processes as strong as Verisign and far stronger than GeoTrust
  • 30 day money back guarantee
  • 30 day free replacement and resissue policy
  • Varying levels of warranty for specific site needs
  • Free SecuritySpace security audit
  • Free TrustLogo (worth $119) with every InstantSSL Pro and PremiumSSL Certificate

Thawte Code Signing Certificate - 1 yr.: $160
Thawte Code Signing Certificate - 2 yr.: $300

• Uses a single certificate for most platforms and applications - this is unique to thawte
  • Allows you to sign active content such as ActiveX, Macros, MIDlet(J2ME) and Java Applets for secure electronic distribution over the Internet. This authenticated digital signature effectively verifies the source of your software before it is downloaded
  • Ensures that your active content or code cannot be maliciously modified
  • Gives your users recourse to the person who published it
  • Promotes the Internet as a secure and viable platform for content distribution
  • Has the benefit of thawte's world-class certification procedures
  • Inspires user confidence
  • CRL: Yes, Certificate Revocation List fully supported
  • Has the benefit of Online Certificate Status Protocol

Still, you could always ask if the Comodo ones will do J2ME, and they have a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Mitch.

Gert

Hey thanks for checking about the certificate cost ! And of course for your offer to support obtaining a certificate ;)

I knew about Thawte and their prices - Comodo is new to me ! Indeed their prices are the lowest that I am aware of. Well, yes, from what you copied from thier web site it seems that Java ME may not be supported.

Well, hope that there will be further progress on the implementation of the JSR 75 support soon. Joshua did advance very well, but some work still needs to be done in this area.

Thanks again,
Gert