Feature planning for version 3.2

Started by Gert, 06. May 2007, 10:33:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

Here is a list of features that right now I plan to get included in version 3.2:

1. User selection of contents for display, i.e. the user can choose which contents he wants to be displayed and which not. This is a very important feature ! Sebastian already started implementation of this.

2. 'Dictionary chooser' for the JSR 75 support. Joshua already implemented this. Then finally people will not spend any more their time to try to figure out the correct spelling of the directories on their device.

3. Improved 'Translation List'. This includes specifically a 'back'-feature. I myself am working on an implementation on this and I am already mostly done.

4. The next 'big feature': multimedia support, i.e. sound and pictures (see 'multimedia support' at http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/needhelp.html). Well, we still need to find the person who will implement this ! So actually, this may be more for version 3.3.

5. Startup animation: this would be another improvement of the DfM look&feel. Also here we need to find a) a person who does the Java implementation and b) a person who does provide the startup animation itself. May be a feature for 3.3 instead of 3.2 also.

Any other features that should go into 3.2 ?

Best greetings,
Gert

zz85

I working on Zipped Dictionaries support. Hopefully can be used for 3.2.

I would like to suggest that zip dictionary be loaded when selected, rather changed in settings and reset the app. Or rather, have a "load dictionary" as one of the main menu options.

Gert

If you really manage to get a working zip support for 3.2 - that would be unbelievable !

Yes, definitely it will be the right solution to load the dictionary when selected ! The current solution which requires an application restart was quickly to implement, finally it should be done when the dictionary is selected, as you write.

Where to put the "load/select dictionary" dictionary function is another question. Right now it is in the settings form, because the main menu already did hit its limits: there are already 9 entries in there. I believe when we put more there, then it will not be possible to select all menu items with a number shortcut (on those devices that support this). Well, ok, we can discuss this (we should open another thread for this).

Gert

dreamingsky

One big thing that would be great for the Thai, Hindi (India), Khmer (Cambodia), and Japanese dictionaries would be IME support (Input Method Editor).

At the moment, we can't type in those 4 languages in DfM.  So we can only do English -> language2 searches.  We can't do language2 -> English searches.

An IME is how you type in a language.  For example, on an old phone without T9 input:
to type a "c" you press "222".

Here are some other examples for English:
2   a
22   b
222   c
3   d
33   e
333   f
#   .
##   @
###   /

Imagine trying to type a "á" with an old English phone.  There is no way to do it.  You would need to write a new IME to support "á" (press "2222", for example).

Chinese works OK in DfM because the input is done with just regular roman letters (pinyin without tone marks): ta3, gen1, etc.

Sean Kernohan started work on the IME for the Japanese dictionary (the Japanese IME is more involved than the IMEs for other languages).  Damien Hanssens submitted the IME layout for Thai.

If I see a phone from India and Cambodia then I can write down the IME for them.  I won't be in Cambodia again for about a year.  I don't have any plans to go to India anytime soon, though.  I put a little note in the Hindi and Khmer dictionaries asking for someone to submit the IME layouts.

Peter Kmet's "custom TextField" Java code could be adapted to work as an IME.  Can anyone help with the Java portion of building the IME?

Jeff