SonyEricsson cell phones: additional problems with DictionaryForMIDs 3.1

Started by Gert, 25. February 2007, 12:11:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

Colleagues,

just let me try to summarize the problems that many SonyEricsson cell phone models have:

1. OutOfMemoryError and workaround in MainForm.java
The past versions (3.0 and 2.x) had this OutOfMemoryError for which a workaround was implemented (see at the end of MainForm.java). Unfortunately this workaround does have side-effects that may be annoying for the user (for example, depending on user settings, the info-sound is played after each search).

This OurOfMemoryError does not occur on the P-Series. The workaround is activated for all SonyEricsson cell phones except for the P-Series.

Beyond the P-Series, the OutOfMemoryError does not occur on (older ?) T-Series and some K-Series (probably other series also), depending on the firmware version.

2. Workaround does not work any more in 3.1. development version

Sebastian reports that the current 3.1 development version does not run any more on his W700. With the on-device debugger he also detected that there is a problem with closing InputStreams, see http://developer.sonyericsson.com/thread.jspa?threadID=38384&tstart=0.

This problem is blocking the release of the 3.1 version !!! Any support to track down and resolve this problem will be hightly appreciated !

I personally believe that there is a bug in the SonyEricsson firmware that causes this problem. In any case, we need to find out under which conditions this problem occurs, and how we can work around the problem.

Best greetings,
Gert

adenin__

Hello,

I turned off startup Display

MainForm.java:153
// showStartupDisplay();

and it works without problems

(last version of DfM from CVS )

Gert

Oh, that's a good information !

Well, ok, so, still, hmmm ... what do we do about this ??

Probably a bug in the SonyEricsson firmware ? But when does the problem exactly occur ? And what do we do, adding a second 'blind' workaround (a workaround that seems to help but we don't know why), i.e. deactivating the StartupDisplay on SEs ?? And a third workaround after some more development ? Would be great to know what really makes this error occur !

Gert