Feedback about DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_EngVie_TDTV

Started by rankaori, 06. May 2010, 18:39:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rankaori

Dear Mr.Gert Nuber,

My name is Lan Huong. I'm Vietnamese. I've just found this website and I'm very happy with Dictionaries for download. My cellphone is Motorola L72 and I've installed DFM EngVie, English <-> Chinese & Japanese <-> English. I have many things to discuss:

1/ Link download "DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_EngVie_TDTV.zip" (18.4 Mb) is wrong. It leads to the website where to download "DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_EngVie_EnfDef_Webster.zip" (11.5 Mb). But I downloaded DFM_3.4.0_EngVie_TDTV at All Files/Dictionary EngVie/3.4.0. I think you confused these two links. :)

I wish my cellphone has EngVie dictionary. I tried to setup 3 EngVie Dictionary on website but all of them can't install into my cell with "Erro Aplication". :(

I also tried to setup 3 VieEng Dictionary but can only setup DFM_3.4.0_VieEng_TDTV. And I have a problem with Vietnamese Input. My cellphone only has Vietnamese language without Input. I can't type Vietnamese vocabulary. The Vietnamese dictionaries require a cell phone/PDA with a Vietnamese font & Input? I tried to type Vietnamese by Telex but it's not okie. :(

2/ I installed Japanese <-> English and it's very good. :D But I have a little question with the way to type Romaji. How can I type with Romaji? If I want to type 続く (つづく) on computer, I can type tsuduku with du = . I've read Romaji Input Readme, in there said that in Hepburn both & are zu. But cellphone seems to not distinguish them. I can't look up 続く by typing tsuzuku. I replaced tsuzuku with tsu?ku, it's okie but the dictionary displays many vocabularies as: 対句 (ついく), 痛苦 (つうく)... I only want to look up 続く or 片付く (かたづく), how should I type 2 these vocabularies?

3/ I also installed Chinese <-> English, it's very wonderful. :D

I installed many dictionaries, EngJap Dic is 8.9 Mb & ChiEng is 9.9 Mb, my phone Moto L72 still accept but why I can't install EngVie 5.4 Mb? ??? It's fortunate. :(

I'm very sorry if I posted this topic at not where for it.

Thank you for reading my very long post. :)

Best regards,
Lan Huong.

Gert

Lan,

thank you very much for your posting. We do appreciate it a lot !

Quote1/ Link download "DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_EngVie_TDTV.zip" (18.4 Mb) is wrong. It leads to the website where to download "DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_EngVie_EnfDef_Webster.zip" (11.5 Mb). But I downloaded DFM_3.4.0_EngVie_TDTV at All Files/Dictionary EngVie/3.4.0. I think you confused these two links. Smiley

I will ask Peter if he can check that.

QuoteI wish my cellphone has EngVie dictionary. I tried to setup 3 EngVie Dictionary on website but all of them can't install into my cell with "Erro Aplication". 

I just did run the dictionary from DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_EngVie_TDTV.zip with the Sun Emulator. And it seems to run fine there. Did you also check this dictionary ?

QuoteAnd I have a problem with Vietnamese Input. My cellphone only has Vietnamese language without Input. I can't type Vietnamese vocabulary. The Vietnamese dictionaries require a cell phone/PDA with a Vietnamese font & Input? I tried to type Vietnamese by Telex but it's not okie.
Ah, your cell phone cannot enter any Vietnamese characters, did I get this right ?
Is it possible to search Vietnamese words with Latin (English) characters ?

Quote2/ I installed Japanese <-> English and it's very good. Cheesy But I have a little question with the way to type Romaji
Maybe Jeff can answer on this.

Quote3/ I also installed Chinese <-> English, it's very wonderful.

I am glad that you enjoy this dictionary !

QuoteI installed many dictionaries, EngJap Dic is 8.9 Mb & ChiEng is 9.9 Mb, my phone Moto L72 still accept but why I can't install EngVie 5.4 Mb?  It's fortunate.

The old 3.0 version is not supported any more; But the dictionary in DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_EngVie_TDTV.zip and DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_VieEng_TDTV.zip really should work for you !

"Erro Aplication" is the only error message that you get ??

Best regards,
Gert

dreamingsky

QuoteI can't type Vietnamese vocabulary. The Vietnamese dictionaries require a cell phone/PDA with a Vietnamese font & Input?

This is a problem we've been trying to fix for years.  We've been waiting for someone with Java programming experience who could make code to type in writing systems other than roman letters.  Now several dictionaries can only be searched from English -> Dictionary 2.  They cannot search from Dictionary 2 -> English.  Some dictionaries are: Vietnamese, Russian, Arabic, Thai, Hindi, and Khmer.

The Japanese dictionary can search from Japanese -> English, but it must be searched in romaji.  Seaching in hiragana would be much better than romaji.  But we must wait for the code to be added.

So, until someone can add the feature to search in non-roman scripts, you will only be able to search from English to Vietnamese (unless you can install a 3rd party program for Vietnamese input).  Sorry.

QuoteHow can I type づ with Romaji?

I'm sorry.  I made a mistake with づ and ぢ in the DictionaryforMIDs program.  Thank you for catching my mistake.  I will try to fix the mistake within 1 week.  Then I will upload a new version of the Japanese dictionary.

Jeff

rankaori

Jeff,

It's only a very little mistake in the DictionaryForMIDs Jap<->Eng. I'm really very happy with a large amount of entries in this dictionary. I can look up the unpopular vocabularies as 小判 (こばん) means former Japanese oval gold coin, it's interesting. :D If my detection can help you to make the dictionary to become better, I'm ready to discuss about it. :)

By the way, I have a opinion about English translation of 銀杏 (いちょう). By dictionary, 銀杏 / 公孫樹 / イチョウ means Ginkgo tree / Ginkgo biloba / Maidenhair tree. I looked up on Wikipedia, 銀杏 is Ginkgo tree (Latin name is Ginkgo biloba), it isn't Maidenhair tree / Maidenhair ferns (Genus: Adiantum).

Scientific classification of Ginkgo tree:
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Ginkgophyta
Class: Ginkgoopsida
Order: Ginkgoales
Family: Ginkgoaceae
Genus: Ginkgo
Species: Ginkgo biloba

Scientific classification of Maidenhair tree:
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Pteridophyta
Class: Pteridopsida
Order: Pteridales
Family: Pteridaceae / Adiantaceae
Genus: Adiantum

You could look up Ginkgo biloba on Wikipedia is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba and Adiantum is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiantum. In Wikipedia has the pictures of 2 these trees, they're completely different. I think maybe Ginkgo leaves and Adiantum lunulatum leaves are fan-shape and to become yellow in autumn, this makes them looked alike.   

In Chinese, Ginkgo tree is 銀杏 (yín xìng) or 白果 (bái guǒ).

QuoteSo, until someone can add the feature to search in non-roman scripts, you will only be able to search from English to Vietnamese (unless you can install a 3rd party program for Vietnamese input)

Now I've understood. I installed DfM_VietEng_3.0.0 into LG GW300, this phone can type Vietnamese by Telex to search Vietnamese vocabulary. It's fortunate my phone Moto L72 can't. I'll try to install Vietnamese Input for my phone.

Thank you about your guide! :)

Best regards,
Huong. 

Gert

Huong,
[guess 'Lan' is not the right way to call you ... ?]

great to read the postings from Jeff and you !!  :)

I still have a question on your problems to run the 3.4.0 Vietnamese dictionaries. Can you give us any additional information on the problem. For example what happens in detail when you try to install the application. Is there immediately this application error message ? Could you try to install only the .jar file (without the .jad file), if possible ?

Regards,
Gert

dreamingsky

Huong

I'm happy you like the Japanese-English dictionary.  Actually I didn't make the dictionary.  I just converted the dictionary from it's original format to the DictionaryforMIDs format.  Jim Breen created the dictionary.  You can submit changes to the dictionary here http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?17.

Jeff

rankaori

Quote from: Gert on 07. May 2010, 23:22:36
Huong,
[guess 'Lan' is not the right way to call you ... ?]

My full name is Tran Thi Lan Huong with Tran is family name, Thi is middle name and Lan Huong is name. My short name is Huong. :) In Vietnamese name the family name is in front name. There is different between American/English name and Vietnamese name. :)

I'm sorry to reply you late about the problem to run the 3.4.0 Vietnamese dictionaries. I'm still searching about it. I think the problem is the different of Java system. My phone Motorola L72 has CLDC 1.1, MIDP 2.0 and Heap size 1100 k. But Moto L72 has JavaDI, not JavaMe. I'm asking the Moderator of Motoxtreme.info about there is any different between JavaDI and JavaMe. ::) I haven't still had the reply until now.

I installed JapEng & ChiEng Dictionary easily. I only copy file jar into transflash, then into Game & Applications Menu / Install New / choose file jar / Install / on screen displays details of file jar / Install / has message "Not a signed application. Continue downloading?" / Yes. The dictionary is installed into my phone and when I want to open it, at Game & Applications Menu run it. I didn't need to use the other program to install the dictionary into my phone. But to DfM_3.4.0_EngVie_TDTV, I can't install by this way. When I choose Yes, message "Application Error" is displayed and the Java program shutdowns. :-\ The first I thought this dictionary is too larger to install into L72 (17.6 Mb). My phone memory is 17622 k free and Transflash is 876713 k free. I tried to install DfM_3.0.0_EngVie_BIDICT (12.1 Mb) & DfM_3.0.0_EngVie_109k (5.4 Mb) but it's not okie with "Application Error". :( Even DfM_3.0.0_VieEng_146k (6.9 Mb) & DfM_3.0.0_VieEng_76k (3.8 Mb) also can't install. I tried to use MotoMidMan 0.85 (a program helps to install Java Applications into Motorola phone) to setup but cannot. :-\ But DfM_VieEng_3.4.0_TDTV (2.1 Mb) is accepted. ???

I wonder your dictionaries are written based on the same Java system. ::) Because DfM_3.0.0_EngVie_109k & DfM_3.0.0_VieEng_146k are able to install into LG GW300 (has JavaMe). ??? I'm sorry I have no much knowledge about Java program. Is the Sun Emulator a program to help to setup the dictionary on computer? I'm waiting the reply from Moderator of Motoxtreme. When I know other informations, I'll tell you soon.

Maybe Moto L72 & LG GW300 are s40 model phones. I'll check this information with exact reply.

To: Jeff
Moto L72 can't run file .sis, so I can't install Vietnamese Iput into my phone with Vietnamese_Touch.sis. :(

Best regards,
Lan Huong.   

Gert

Huong,

thanks for your explanation about Vietnamese family names ! I really like to learn a lot of things like this. This is really nice about the DictionaryForMIDs project: you learn about people and their habits from all around the world !

From what you write, your L72 supports Java ME/MIDP (almost all mobiles on the world do support Java ME/MIDP, except for Android and iPhone). You write that DfM_VieEng_3.4.0_TDTV runs, but DfM_3.4.0_EngVie_TDTV does not. I'd guess it is simply a problem of too little available memory in your phone.

3.0.0 had problems on Motorola phones if I remember correctly. Maybe someone will finally set up these dictionaries for 3.4.0.

Besides, S40 is a platform that is only used by Nokia, as far as I know.

The Sun Emulator is only useful for Java ME development on a PC. I use it for testing the DfM application (I use other emulators too).

rankaori

Gert,

Thank you for your axplanation. When I buy a new cellphone with larger phone memory, I'll set up DfM_EngVie_3.4.0_TDTV. :) Anyway now I'm very pleasant with DfM_EngJap_3.2.0_Edict & DfM_ChiEng_3.4.0_Cedict. They're really useful for learning Japanese & Chinese. :)

dreamingsky

Huong

I fixed the Japanese dictionary.  づ ("du") and ぢ ("di") work correctly now.  Sorry, it took a little longer to fix than I thought.

Jeff

rankaori

Jeff

Thank you very much! :D I know it's difficult to fix that complex Java code. I'm very happy to use this new edict. It's wonderful. :D