HTML 5 implementation of DictionaryForMIDs / is this realistic ?

Started by Gert, 29. October 2010, 19:31:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

Anyone who knows HTML 5 ?

Currently there is a lot of talk about creating 'applications' with HTML 5. So I was wondering whether some time in the future it might be possible to do an implementation of DictionaryForMIDs with HTML 5. But I do not know if a good application could ever be done with HTML 5. I mean a real good and fast offline dictionary (dictionary stored locally on the device).

For the Web Storage (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Storage) I read that there are space limitations for browsers; that could be an issue.

Also, I guess only JavaScript will be available on all devices as programming language, true ? Then the DictionaryForMIDs Translation Layer will need to be ported to JavaScript [the current format of the dictionary files (Jar files) will have to be handled in JavaScript]; would JavaScript fast enough to do a quick search in the dictionary files ?

Download of dictionaries may be done with the interface that is used by the Android version.

Well, just thoughts -- I will appreciate if there is someone who knows HTML 5 and can say what are all the obstacles.

Best regards,
Gert