BITAMP Bug

Started by torkuhl, 06. April 2007, 08:50:25

Previous topic - Next topic

torkuhl

dictformids version 3.1.0
cedict eng-zh
motorola A1200

as soon as i toggle "use bitmap" in the "settings" and press "apply",
the operation freezes and i have to take out the battery to reboot the phone.
(i guess thats what they call a total crash!)
and yes, it happens every time.
the dictinary without having "use bitmap" toggled works like a charm, however, the loading time has increased drastically since adding the bitmaps.

ps. currently i try to use a different font and see what happens. keep you posted

torkuhl

i used a differerent chinese font and reproduced the same problem.
total freeze.

???

Tomcollins

Hi!

Thank you for your report!

I think that the .png used are too big for some mobiles.
I guess if you use smaller png (another dictionary or add just some chinese characters to the font) it should work.
Maybe you can try to use this small test dictionary and font (search for 'a' or 'abasi' or something):
http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0225729/mid_bitmap/small_png.zip
please let me know afterwards.

Now we have one single .png for all characters and I know this is a big problem.
It works on the emulators with the big png s so i think it should at least run on some mobiles.
But we should split the big png s like for chinese, japanese fonts into several smaller files if this is a problem for the devices....

Sebastian

torkuhl

i just finished the brandnew 3.1.2 version of the cedict with an updated database (june 07) (which should be available for download very shortly...)
the bitmap problem is solved (at least on my moto a1200)

it works like a charm and is pretty fast, too.

however, i am not sure whether its related, but 'bypass charset encoding' only produces strange boxes insetead of characters....

lars

Gert

Reads great !

"Bypass charset encoding" is a feature that was introduced to support a few old devices that have a character decoding library which is either buggy or extremely slow. This feature only works with single-byte character sets, e.g. ISO-8859-1 (not Unicode/UTF-8 !). Probably some time in the future I will remove the "Bypass charset encoding" because it seems that all modern devices have no problems with character decoding (for the older models the old DfM-versions still can be downloaded).

Gert

jpcelestian

I'm trying to use the Chinese-English dictionary. With version 2.7.0 everything works fine except some characters are not displayed such as some vowels with accent marks over them.

The chinese characters are displayed fine because I had this SLVR L7 phone setup in China I guess. Where can I get the missing fonts I need?

And can I get just the missing ones without possibly slowing the application down by having to load an entire alternate font set for this app, or won't it make any difference?

John

Tomcollins

Hi!

We know the problem! It's because most of the mobiles don't support all the vowels with accents on them. So I think, the best solution is to build a new cedict-DFM with pinyin with normal latin chars with numbers behind the syllab. But someone has to do it. Actually I wanted to do that along time ago...
Maybe I find some time these days. You can give it a try too. Although it might be a little more complicated because you may have to change the languangeUpdateClass. If you wanna give it a try I could help you in creating a new version. for the basics --> see Setting up a new dictionary!

Sebastian

Tomcollins

I just did set up a new version. please have a try (feedback appreciated):

http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0225729/MID/DictionaryForMIDs_3.1.2_ChiEng_CEDICT.zip

(for the others: there you also find the word girl...)

Sebastian