DictionaryForMIDs running on Android

Started by Gert, 19. March 2009, 18:31:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

Android does not 'out of the box' support Java ME / MIDP. Fortunately there are a few projects that have the goal to run Java ME applications on Android.

I did a quick test of "J2ME MIDP Runner" (which is in beta state) - and it works ! Well, at least with the 'stone age' 2.4.0 English-Spanish dictionary; see the attached screenshot.

When I tested the 3.1.2 English-Chinese dictionary, the application did not start up. Ok, the "J2ME MIDP Runner" is still a beta version.

Of course we are still searching for someone who does implement the HMI with a nice native Android look&feel (see the "We need your support / Java Development for Google Android" page on our web site).

Gert

axin

As the J2ME Runner version really is just a hack, there soon will be an optimized Android version. See screenshots to whet your appetite :P

Comments & suggestions as well as volunteers for beta-testing are very welcome!

Achim

axin

As previously promised, the Android version of DictionaryForMIDs is on its way... See attached apk file for BETA version 0.9.7.

To install this software, download and copy it onto your phone's sd card. As the apk is of no use without a dictionary, you need to go onto the dictionary website, download the ones you like and extract the zip files to your sd card. There should now be a folder with one or more jar files, right?
Note: You could use the dictionary files like this, but DfM on Android will run much faster if you also unpack the jar file(s).
Savely disconnect your sd card, install the apk file using your favorite file browser (for example Astro from the market), and boot up your brand-new Android dictionary.

Comments, suggestions and bug reports are very welcome!

Achim

UPDATE 2009-07-14: updated version from 0.9.6 to 0.9.7. As key for signing changed, any previous version must be uninstalled prior to installing version 0.9.7 or later.

axin

Starting with version 0.9.7, DictionaryForMIDs is available on Android Market.

See supported devices on the website for details.

axin

There is now a news entry about Android on the website, as well as some dedicated pages.

See DictionaryForMIDs on Android for details.

-achim

Gert