"dark display theme" problem

Started by Ortho_Normal, 01. September 2010, 14:30:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Ortho_Normal

Hi,
I am running DfM 3.5.7 (3.4.0) dictionaries on a Symbian S40 6th Edition phone (Nokia 2710 Navigation Edition - MIDP 2.1, CLDC 1.1).

I use the "Dark.nth" display theme (the display's background is "black", the characters are "white") in my phone.

Unfortunately, DfM assumes that the "background" is white (it uses quite dark fonts) and there is no option to change it, so it is hardly readable.

Could you, please, "enforce" an appropriate "bright" background when the DfM midlet runs?

If I switch to "bitmap fonts", then the text is readable - the "background" directly below the characters becomes white - but the rest of the line (where there is nothing written) is still black (this looks a bit awful). Again, could you, please, "enforce" appropriate "bright" background for the whole screen?
Another problem with the "bitmap fonts" is that the colors are not really "vivid" - they are a bit hard to distinguish - could you, please, make them more "lively"?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Ortho Normal.

Gert

Dear Ortho Normal,

QuoteI am running DfM 3.5.7 (3.4.0) dictionaries on a Symbian S40 6th Edition phone (Nokia 2710 Navigation Edition - MIDP 2.1, CLDC 1.1).
That is really useful technical information :)

QuoteUnfortunately, DfM assumes that the "background" is white (it uses quite dark fonts) and there is no option to change it, so it is hardly readable.
Yes, it is a known issue that depending on the background theme the translations can be hard to read.

In the properties file DictionaryForMIDs.properties it is possible to set the background colour for the translation texts (I would have to look up the name of the property). However this property is raraly used - and the output does not really look nicely on some devices with those background boxes (as you mention, the space between the text remains in its colour).

QuoteAgain, could you, please, "enforce" appropriate "bright" background for the whole screen?
Is there any Java ME guru out there who can tell me how to do that ??

QuoteAnother problem with the "bitmap fonts" is that the colors are not really "vivid" - they are a bit hard to distinguish - could you, please, make them more "lively"?
Hmmm, maybe you could provide a screenshot or something for illustration ?

Best regards,
Gert

Ortho_Normal

Hi,
I think I was not clear with the "color problem".

I do not want to say that the text itself is poorly readable.
It is well readable.

However, the dictionary entries use (at least) four colors: "black", "dark blue", "dark green", "dark red". And for me it is really difficult to distinguish between these colors (except for the "dark red", which is easier to notice).
So, I would like to propose that "dark" colors are changed into "light" ones: "light blue", "light green", "light red".

There exists an option "Coloured display" on/off - maybe one could change it into a choice: "black-white" / "dark colors" / "light colors"?

Of course, the whole screen background could also be "set" / "enforced" to a default predefined value, according to the chosen "color scheme".

Note, the "DictionaryForMIDs.properties" background color setting that you mention is not really a good idea. I believe, almost nobody is able to recreate DfM from scratch, I just use the "default midlet executables" that you provide. I've only learned how to "upgrade" the DfM version in a downloaded "ready to use" dictionary - e.g. I "upgraded" from 3.4.0 to 3.5.7 without generating everything from scratch, but everything comes from your downloads.

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Ortho Normal.