Cannot install Dictionary for MIDs English-Chinese

Started by mingxun, 09. August 2009, 21:33:29

Previous topic - Next topic

parrotfly

Thanks Gert

Yes!
I can install and run the old one you give to me, but the problem is the old one requires cell phone/PDA with a Chinese character set. so I have no chance to see the chinese without Bitmap font.

I am not sure SPH-M620 the maximum supported Jar file size will cause trboule, but I have experiece when I try to install size more than 10M Jar file, it will give me error messge over the max size, but for the one I download from here, when I install, there is no such error message to show me Jar file is too big

Thanks again for your help

Gert

I am really not sure what there is the problem with the installation. It really would be useful if there was any error message.

Well, I hope that soon there will be a release of an updated CEDICT for 3.4.0 so that you can test that version.

Regards,
Gert

parrotfly

Hi Gert:

I try to install the

DictionaryForMIDs_3.2.0_EngJpn_EDICT-P.zip
entries: 22,617

It install successful and I can run it. But the program can not show the Japanese only blank.

for the
DictionaryForMIDs_3.2.0_EngJpn_EDICT.zip
entries: 120,179

I failed and error message is "Disk space not sufficient"

but for the
DictionaryForMIDs_3.1.2_ZhEng_cedict2.zip
I can copy both unzip file into my cell phone
Shared->Jas->temp->install
folder successfully no error message, but after I restart the cell phone, it doesn't install it. Do you have other version with Bitmap chinese font support?

Thanks

Gert

Well, hope Lars can make a new version with an upadted CEDICT soon.

In meantime I can try to create a 'quick-and-dirty' 3.4.0-version with the old CEDICT from 3.1.2. Hope I can find a few minutes for this.

Gert

Gert

I just created a 'quick&dirty' version of the old 3.1.2 CEDICT with version 3.4.0; this is really just a version that you can test; the 'official CEDICT for 3.4.0' with the latest CEDICT will be done by Lars.

Here is the link: http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/3.4.0/CEDICT_from_312/DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_CEDICT_old.jar

Let me know if this version works for you.
Gert

pRinCesS

hi.....
i use nokia 7390,,,but the dictionary cannot work in my phone,,it said "invalid application"....
i try to install from this link : http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/3.4testversion1/DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_test%20version%201_empty.zip
and it can work,,,but there is no dictionary loaded.....
i think the application bigger than 1mb cannot work in my phone.....but,,,i really need english-chinese, chinese-english dictionary,,,,so can u help me to fix it???maybe u can make the size smaller??please reply me as soon as possible.... :D

Gert

Did I understand correctly: the 'empty' version works, but the one at http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/3.4.0/CEDICT_from_312/DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_CEDICT_old.jar cannot be installed ?

Hmmm, "invalid application" is very strange; I think there should be a message such as "application too large" or similar if the application is too big.

I just checked the Nokia specification: the 7390 has a Maximum JAR Size of 512 KB - well the old S40 problem ...

The "Loadable dictionary" feature would solve your problems, but we still have no certificate for DfM, so using the "Loadable dictionary" feature will be disappointing for you for the moment. You can read more about this at http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/faqLoadableDictionaries.html.

Or, a smaller dictionary should work also. You could email Lars and ask if he has a suitable dictionary.

Regards,
Gert

parrotfly

Thanks Gert

could you please create the *.jad file for me to test the "quick&dirty" version for the one you post

http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/3.4.0/CEDICT_from_312/DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_CEDICT_old.jar

without *.jad, I can not install on my Samsung SPH-M620

Thanks lot

pRinCesS

thank you for ur information, Gert.....
i tried loadable dictionary,,,but i don't like it bcoz it shows so many messages.....
btw,,,,who is Lars???sorry,,,i'm new.....can u give me his email??thx again  :)

Gert

@parrotfly: sorry, there is no Jad-file for this 'quick&dirty' version.

According to the MIDP specification, each device must be able to install a Jar-file alone, without Jad file. Maybe somehow there is a way to install the Jar-file on your Samsung ?

Regards,
Gert

Gert

@pRinCesS: Did I understand correctly: the 'loadable dictionary' work on your cell phone, but all the confirmation messages are so disturbing. Is this correct ?

For the email address of Lars, just see the Contributor list on our web page.

Regards,
Gert

pRinCesS

thank you Gert for your help and the information.... ;)

MIDs2009

hi Gert,

i cannot get the dictionary to open also.  this is what i did.  i tried dictionaryforMIDs_3.3.0 on my samsung s5230, i got a message "OUtof memory".  so i tried the new 3.4.0.  I put the jar file without the dictionary file, jad file and dictionary directory with dictionary files in it.  all three in one folder.  after i ran the jar file, it appears to be ok but i went to the setting to set the dictionary path, i used the browse function to point to my dictionary directory and restart the MIDs again but i still get a "No dictionary loaded".   Please help.  the reason i bought the phone just for this purpose, if it is cannot be used, it is really too bad.  thank in advance.

Gert

@MIDs2009:

Question 1: When you try install the Jar file at http://www.kugihan.de/dict/download/test_versions/3.4.0/CEDICT_from_312/DictionaryForMIDs_3.4.0_CEDICT_old.jar, then you get during the installation an "Out of memory" error. Is this true ?

Question 2: So you were trying the "loadable dictionary" ? Is this true ?

Question 3: For the loadable dictionary, did you install the 3.4.0 'empty' version that you can download at http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/newdict.html#SetupJARUpdate ?

Question 4: When you selected the directory with the browser, what is the content of the path ? Please write the exact path  (must be something like file://....)

Question 5: What is the path where you copied the 'dictionary'-directory on your phone ?

Sorry, for all those questions, please don't be angry about this. I just like to know everything that will help me to know what goes wrong.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Gert

MIDs2009

don't worry Gert, i will try to answer all the question.  Sorry about the wrong comment i had last time with version 3.3.0.  in fact i got the message "java error. no memory available"

answer2. yes

answer3. i did download the 3.4.0 empty version with only 329K, it download ok.  when i ran it it is also ok except no dictionary.

answer4and5.  i put the "dictionary" in external memory card, MUSIC,3.4.0,  when i used the browse function, it came out like this "file:///Mmc/MUSIC/3.4.0/dictionary"  after that i hit apply, exit the application and start the application again but i still got the "No dictionary loaded" on the top.

i put an empty version in 3.4.0 folder, also jad file in that folder and dictionary in 3.4.0 too.  all this is under MUSIC directory in the external memory.

i hope i clear up thing for you.  Please don't hesitate to ask me more questions.  thanks.