Convert purchased CD-ROM dictionary to MID

Started by TorstenS, 26. March 2008, 14:20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

TorstenS

Hi all!

I have purchased a commercial dictionary which came with a CD-ROM. I would like to convert this dictionary, so I can use it on my mobile MID device. Therefore I think I have to find out what format this electronic version of the dictionary uses to see if a converter tool would be available.

The actual content of the dictionary seems to be stored in two files, one for each language direction. The files are called .DAT. I have opened them in a hex editor, but this seems to be some binary format. I can spot some dictionary entries, but also a lot of other non readable characters, so that format is for sure no plain text and no XML format, but it also does not seem to be encrypted.

Any idea how I would be able to determine this format?

Kind regards,
Torsten

Gert

.DAT ? I have no clue !

Maybe someone else knows more.

Gert

Stefan1200

I think only the developers of the commercial dictionary knows the structure of the .dat file. Because the ending .dat only means database, which is not more classified. Its simple a file that holds data. But the way how the data is stored is the decision of the developer.

But maybe the dictionary application has an export feature. If not, there is no easy/legal way to get the data running with DFM.