Idea for far future: the map of chars

Started by kopecky, 08. February 2010, 09:57:39

Previous topic - Next topic

kopecky

I would be wondered if there was someday a possibility to choose defined letters from the box like in the map of chars known from windows. Nowadays, if people has dictionary with non-latin font, he can use transcription or somehow try to type these letters on mobile and it is not always possible.

Probably it would be needed to use bitmap font all the time and f.e. by pressing '*' show text box with defined groups of letters or can assign to keys of mobile other characters.

Gert

You idea is highly welcome !!

There is a related topic, the IME (Input Method Editor), for example Jeff gave a good explanation on that topic somewhere else in this forum. Such an IME would be used e.g. to input Japanese letters from a 'normal' keyboard.

The "map of chars" would be easier to implement I guess; and suitable for all languages. Well, for Chinese/Japanese characters such a map might be too big to be usable.

Hmmmm ... will be interesting to know what the others think about your idea !

Gert

axin

Hi kopecky,

I guess you are not talking about the Android platform, are you?
If you (or anyone else) need special IMEs on Android: Beginning with version 1.5, the Android platform features installation of third-party IMEs and the Android Market already provides quite a few of them. Just search for ime and/or the language you are missing!

-Achim