Dictionary

Started by Brad, 14. November 2009, 15:11:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is able to make me an Elvish-English-Elvish dictionary for my phone? I'm always looking for words on the go and it's frustrating to have to come back to my computer to find them.

I have a program on my computer that is a Elvish-English dictionary (and vice versa), I was just wondering if anyone can make a similar one for my phone? Sony Ericsson K850i.

Please get back to me,
Thanks. :)

Gert

Well, you could even do it yourself.

The only thing that you need is a table where in the first column is the 'Elvish' language and in the second column is the English language. Such as in an Excel sheet or similar. With such a table you can generate the dictionary for DictionaryForMIDs (ok, depending on your experience, you may need some support there).

Hmmm, though, I wonder for what you need an Elvish dictionary ??

Gert

Brad

If I put it in an Excel spreadsheet, could you generate it for me please? :)

Pedin Edhellen.
"Speak-I Elvish."

That's why I need it. I speak the language.

Gert

I myself do have too many other actions on my todo-list.

You can

1. Do it yourself:
Just read http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/newdict.html and
Read http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=155.msg797#msg797

2. Wait if there is someone else who can set up your dictionary

Gert

Brad

Is it hard to do? Cause I don't wanna try and attempt it if my brain is going to explode... ;D

Brad

Omfg. Yes my brain exploded. :(

Gert

Well ... ok, there is option 3:

3. Find a Java developer who creates a simple nice user interface for the dictionary generation

Actually, we are searching already for a long time for a Java developer who will create a nice user interface (window application with a 'graphical user interfacw'), as a replacement for the command line dictionary generation tools.
With that window application people can simply select the inputdictionaryfile (the table with the columns), press a 'generate' button, and they are done. Well, of course the window application will have to allow setting all those useful customization options from DictionaryForMIDs.properties, but with very simple dictionaries, default settings for DictionaryForMIDs.properties will work. And people can start with the default settings and lateron improve the settings.

Gert

Brad

You mean like a program that all you have to do is enter the words and their definitions? Cause that would be mighty helpful.

Your still searching huh? Could you notify me if you find something please? Cause I really wana get this done ASAP.

Gert

Even simpler: I mean a program where you just select an existing file with the translations (csv file or excel file), then press a 'generate' button and out comes the Jar file for the mobiles. Of course, there are plenty of options that people may want to enter prior to pressing the 'generate' button, such as to enter the name of the author etc. So entering these settings must be supported also.

The request for someone who will implement this is there on the DictionaryForMIDs site for more than 1 year (http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/needhelp.html, look for 'graphical user interface'), so I suggest if you like to start soon, then do find that person quickly ;)

Gert

Brad

Oh man. That sucks. Sure no one else here can do it for me? :)