chinese dictionary cannot start on Samsung SGH-D720

Started by man2, 11. November 2007, 05:31:46

Previous topic - Next topic

man2

I'm using Samsung SGH D-720 with symbian S60 system and MIDP 2.0.
I just tried using DictionaryForMIDs_3.1.2_ZhEng_cedict2. The application installed fine. No error. But when I started the application, it's just loading until the Java logo showed then after a while, the application just closed.
Anyone know why?  ???

Gert

On the Nokia S60s DfM with CEDICT runs fine, as far as I know.

There is really no error message before the application is stopped ?

Hmmm, would be useful to find a user of the SGH D-720 with a few programming skills who can track down this problem !

Unfortunately Samsung does not provide an emulator that behaves like the Samsung cell phones (they offer an emulator, but that one seems to be a 'general Java emulator' and does not really emulate the Samsung mobiles).

Regards,
Gert

man2

there is really no error message before the application closed.
i know a little about java programming, but don't know how to track this problem. could you please direct me?

Gert

Would be great if you could try to help there !

Well, the idea is that you would install Sun's WTK on your PC and put in the MainForm.java some 'debug-codelines' (e.g. printouts like "This code was reached"), till you finally know where the problem comes from.

On http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/development.html there is a description how to build the DfM application.

I myself will be out of town for the rest of the week. If you have questions during this time, hope someone else could give you a tip !

Gert

man2

okay.. i'll try that out. hmm... Would you mind to explain, what are the differences of the MIDP between one phone and the others. My Samsung has Java MIDP 2.0. It meets the requirement of DfM to work. But why it still can't start DfM?

Gert

Well, there can be different reasons for the problems on some cell phones:

1. There is a bug in the Java ME / MIDP implementation of your cell phone

2. DictionaryForMIDs did not correctly implement a certain feature

3. The Java ME / MIDP specification is unclear in a specific point and DfM had a different understanding from the cell phone manufacturer.

From my experience 1. is the biggest source of problems: the amount of bugs/problems in the Java ME / MIDP implementations is really astonishing. It seems that all cell phone manufacturers have problems there ! Well some manufacturers have even more problems than others  ;)

You really will have to install WTK and try to track down the problem step by step in order to find out whether your problem is 1., 2. or 3. In any case, it will be important to find out !!

Gert

man2

thanks for your explanation Gert.. I'm a bit busy right now, so still haven't tried to track this problem down. I'm using DfM 2.7 at the moment. It works perfect on my phone. But I'm also curious how this v3.1.2 version works and do any better than v2.7. I will let you know when I'm done with this. Or if anyone in this forum have a chance to help us here, you're welcome  ;D