English Russian Problem

Started by jbtucson, 21. October 2007, 20:33:09

Previous topic - Next topic

jbtucson

Hello

I have a Motorola V3T With Memory card, I have used midway and Moto midlets
as download tools, the first dictionary I tried was Mueller it down loads fine but when I run it on my cell phone the English words show fine but The Russian words appear to all be blacked out by black box's,

The dictionary from Dict.info also downloads OK, but when I run that one the error is can't get file name,

any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Joe

Gert

Could you please give the exact versions (including the name of the zip file) that you have been testing ?

And what exactly is the error message ?

Gert

jbtucson

The Mueller shows (dictionaryformids 2.4.0 engrusmuellerzip 3,374KB)
The Mueller does not show an error but it appears all the Russian words are blacked out with only the English words showing,

The other one shows (dfm English Russian zip dts 1,403KB)  I can,t seem to find a zip number for this one, maybe I am not looking in the right place?

the error on this one reads (Thrown de.Kugihan dictionaryformids.general.g:javax.microedition.rms recordstoreException:Can't get filename) seems difficult to find English to Russian dictionary's for cell phones on the INTERNET, these have been the only two I have found, and neither one work,

Thanks for your time and help Gert

Joe

Gert

Joe,

1. Müller dictionary
I myself did set up this dictionary a long time ago and I remember there had been problems in the character encoding of the Russian words in the source dictionary. A few 'specific' Russian characters were not correctly encoded. Since then I am searching for someone who could set up this Müller dictionary again, with a clean character encoding. But did not find anyone yet !
Possibly these character encoding problems are the reason for the 'blacked out' Russian translation on your mobile.

2. Can't get filename
This problem seems to be paramount for some Motorola mobiles, see also http://dictionarymid.gottfried-signs.ch/index.php?topic=35.msg142#msg142 .
The dictionary that you tested has a jar file name which is shorter than 32 characters, so it seems there is a different problem. I myself have no clue what the problem might be (I don't have a Motorola mobile for testing neither).
Would you have some time to 'play around' and try to narrow down the problem of this "Can't get filename" error ?

Best greetings,
Gert

jbtucson

Thanks for the info, I will try and experiment with the file but I am not much of an expert on this, if you happen to obtain updated files please let me know, I can also be reached at minsk47@yahoo.com

Thanks again

Joe

arsen_a

Hello Joe,
You can find a very good English-Russian bidirectional dictionary on this site:
http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/En_Dict.htm .
As to the Muller's dictionery, I think I can have a look!

Best regards, Arsen.

Gert

Interesting link that you posted there.

About the Müller dictionary: I myself did set up this dictionary a long time ago with the files that are found at http://www.geocities.com/mueller_dic

The problem with that source is, that the character encoding included a few flaws (I don't remember exactly what the situation was, it was something like the used character encoding did not cover all Russian characters). Naturally, these problems also show up in the DictionaryForMIDs dictionary.

Apart from that, the Mueller dictionary was set up with a very old version of DictionaryForMIDs. A 'refresh' on the latest version would be useful.

Greetings,
Gert

jbtucson

Arsen

Thanks for the site, I tried three different English Russian, English Russian English,  dictionary's on that site, all with the same problem I have been having, I have been trying to download into a Motorola V3T, I just bought a new Razr V3i to try, basically the same phone with different software, and that has the same problem, I can download tons of games with no problem, I have the entire oxford English dictionary in the phone with no problem , even the oxford medical dictionary, works fine, I am going to buy a cable for my wifes samsung phone and give that a try, if that will not work then I will probably give up,

thanks again for trying to help me Arsen,

Regards Joe

Quote from: arsen_a on 03. November 2007, 05:53:08
Hello Joe,
You can find a very good English-Russian bidirectional dictionary on this site:
http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/En_Dict.htm .
As to the Muller's dictionery, I think I can have a look!

Best regards, Arsen.